Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Web Development & Graphic Design

Notices

Web Development & Graphic Design Problem Solving for Graphic Design, PHP, ASP, Perl, MySQL, SQL, XML, HTML issues

Topic Tools
Old April 1st, 2003, 02:32 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
prevent highlighting text

Hello

I know that it is impossible to completly stop someone taking somehitng off your web site. I would like to prevent someone from highlighting my text though. Much like the text here HOw can I do this?

Thanks

Richard
Old April 1st, 2003, 05:40 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Remember, you must only use this code if you want to annoy users
http://www.gate1.net/FrontPage_How_T...election.htm#2
Old April 1st, 2003, 09:07 PM

Sorry richard web sites are open source when the 2 guys i forget tehre names developed HTML and decuded to make it pubick tehy releasd it only unde one condition that it would be visable to all user to gather knowedge and exsperament at tehre own likeings. if u have liek a opy writed book ur puting on ur site in text u can make them images and water marke them thats the best..but if its code its not faiir to try to do why be stingy with code and not help others
Old April 1st, 2003, 10:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

however if I have an article which I have written and I put on a website then that doesn't become public domain, it's still my copyright, the HTML that is used to present it might not be but the actual text is.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 11:20 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Thats exactly right Steven.Bentley. I have written an article and dont want people to rip it. I know i cant get make it completely safe but I want to make it harder from them

THanks

Richard
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:49 PM

Like I said if its a book you have writin or something along thows lines... Go with a water marked image and then splice the images.. u know type stuf on a white BG on photoshop.. this will make it verchualy useless to someone since ital be in a bunch of little pices held together with tabels..theyd have to use your web page realy to place the artical on theres to much hassel wont look right and allso u will still have your water mark..or they could retype it if there that desperate but cmon whos gona do that.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista
Just to let you know Richard that the site you gave us that has highlight protection does nothing to stop me from highlighting it in Mozilla, an Alternative browser, so keep in mind, if someone wants it bad enough, they'll get it, even as an image people can run it through OCR (or is it ORC) programs and it will turn the image into editable text.
Old April 4th, 2003, 09:56 PM
CTH Subscriber

I *think* you can make a PDF file non copyable, you can make it non-printable, certainly
Old April 5th, 2003, 03:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista
What about the print screen button on your computer, you could use that to convert it to a printable image and then you could possibly convert that to text.
Old April 5th, 2003, 08:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

absolutely - in short there's nothing you can do to prevent someone who is determined but there are ways to deter the casual user.