Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 30th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Plugged in a 2nd hard drive. Now computer runs very slow

Recently I put in a second hard drive of a friend's to help copy over some of his files onto my computer and during that my computer was going very slow but I thought it was just because I had 2 hard drives in. Now I took out his hard drive and only mine is left and my computer is still going really slow. Any ideas on what this could be?
Thanks
Big Dave
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:50 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Hi Dave

Welcome to CTH.

Several possibilities occur to me.

1) there was a virus on the other HDD which has now infected the remaining files.
2) you changed a jumber on a HDD and have failed to change it back.
3) the remaining drive is not plugged in to the same position on the same ribbon cable.
4) some other item of hardware has been dislogged, eg a stick of memory.
5) you failed to wear an anti static strap and have zapped something on the motherboard.

First check that all is OK as far as 2,3 and 4 are concerned, take the cover off and check.

Then update your anti-virus and do a full scan, after that check that the machine is clear of spywear, download Spybot from http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html update it and do a full scan.

If all is OK with these check that there has been no hijacking of your computer (not a usual cause of slowdowns) but necessary to check as you may have introduced some malwear from the other drive. Download HijackThis from http://s89223352.onlinehome.us/mirror/hjt/ close all windows and run the program, copy and paste the log file to a new thread in the appropriate forum here, for an expert to examine.

If all this is OK then only 5, remains and there is no cure except to replace the damaged hardware.

Good luck, please come back to let us know how you get on, and get help if required. BF
Old July 29th, 2005, 03:19 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
every thing they said ^ but also make sure you dont have your hardirvr on the same IDE as your cd rom