Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:50 PM

Bluescreen "hardware malfunction" "the system has halted" Need help

Okay I copied down the actual bluescreen message today as my computer encountered it again.

Everytime I try to reboot 1/3 times it will encounter this bluescreen at other times everything will run just fine - it is mind boggling to me.

My system is a 1.6 ghz p4 with brand new 3200 corsair DDR ram and a brand new 450 watt ps as well as a brand new (1 month old) soyo dragon motherboard a p4vtp board.

The only thing I could narrow down right now has to be the motherboard. I thought it was the ram and ps but I just replaced both and am still having the same problem so is it possible I just bought a faulty board?
- I also reseated the processor today in hopes that might help.

The actual error message is as follow
-----------------------------------
BLUE SCREEN
hardware malfunction

call your hardware vendor for support

*the system has halted*

-----------------------------------

I can't figure out what else could be wrong and the error message seems to be so bland that it could pinpoint a lot of my hardware.

Any help suggestions would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:16 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi Bacardi,
What OS? I've seen a similar message generated in Windows ME: Windows Protection Error. System halted. That was caused by a bad .vxd device driver. So... if you didn't install or update any drivers just before the blue screens started, and if it could be the same problem with a slightly different syntax, you could reinstall drivers for everything. Tedious? Yes, but maybe worth it to lower frustration level.
BTW, yes, it could be a DOA MB.
HTH,
Old May 8th, 2004, 12:32 PM

System has halted. Please contact your hardware vendor.

I'm having the same problem as bacardi when I try to install either WinXP or Win2003. Just got a mobo and a CPU off a friend. Every time I try to install, I get the same old blue screen after pressing F8 to accept the license agreement. I'm using a AMD 2000+, Epox 8K5A2+ with latest BIOS, 512MB of PC2100 RAM, 120GB Maxtor HD, Asus Siluro FX5200 and generic 300W PSU. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks you guys
Old May 8th, 2004, 07:49 PM

1.If you have anything OClocked - unclock it.
2.Remove all shadowing etc from BIOS
3.Allow BIOS to allocate IRQ's

Remove all superflous peripherals
ie Physical Drives A:E:F:G:
Extra RAM modules
All PCI Cards and USB stuff

Leave basic C: - Mouse - Kboard - graphics

Place Crive on IDE0 as master with jumpers set to master.

Try Install again
Old June 4th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Well, check this out:

I have also been having this very same problem with no clue as to why it exists and then I came across this link in another forum which specifically addresses this issue (I also have a Soyo Dragon Plus MOBO with 512ddr RAM.....):

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;222973

I'll let you know if I find a resolution with this
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:20 PM

I solved this problem, by disabling all SSE instruction support, and disabling L2 Cache ECC Error Checking. System's been stable ever since.
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Hello everybody,
I'm new here and typed a search in Google about the error message I receive on my computer. This forum popped up and I thought I could sign up and maybe get some help. My computer is doing the same as above except I am not installing anything as the above people have mentioned. I thought that perhaps it was a memory problem or my husband mentioned it could be that the bus isn't connecting with the modem (I believe that's what he said). I'm not computer savvy but want to fix this error in my computer. Sometimes it appears when I am browsing the internet and others when I am playing a computer game. Any ideas? I'm not sure what's causing this or if some of the solutions here apply to me.

Thanks for the help,
Amber
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:56 AM
CTH Subscriber

Amber, you need to create your own thread instead of posting in a thread that, when started, is two years old. Go back to the hardware forum and find the button that says: New Topic. The button is at the top of the forum, just above the topic "Topics in Forum: Hardware" on the top left.