Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 18th, 2001, 08:54 PM

computer won't boot; needs boot record

I recently tried to install a CDRW into my computer and it was not working so i took it out and deleted files left by its software. I must have deleted some files that the computer needed, I put all the hardware back to the way it started and now when i try to boot computer it comes up with the message

Searching Boot Record from Floppy..Not Found
Searching Boot Record from CDROM..Not Found

Boot Failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key when ready
Searching Boot Record from floppy..OK

I don't have a boot record diskette but i tried making one from the windows98 cd <mtsutil\Fat32ebd> so basically i have that and the windows cd, I think i could fix it, if it would at least come up with a prompt instead of just o.k.. I've also tried making it read the windows cd but it would just spin the CD in the CDROM and then eventually just stop. I have AMI Plug and Play BIOS Ver.1.0A. Anyone with any type of idea please help.
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:32 PM

Hello, I am having the same problem w/ my old comp.After removing a "stuck" A: drive,
I couldnt read all the information available on my screen so I manage to "shrink" it down by playing w/ the buttons on front, Then I could see where the A:\ was waiting for me to type something in. ie: rescue boot (enter) jim
Old October 11th, 2004, 11:21 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
You may have the data ribbon cable to the cdrom on wrong. Double check on it. The red stripe on the side of the cabel points towards the power plug (white one) to the cdrom.

If its OK reboot and when the 1st screen comes up hit the DEL key (or whatever key the screen tells you to use to get into SETUP)

Under one of the menu items, probably [advanced] you set the boot sequence. Change it to IDE drive as #1, then Floppy #2, then CDROM #3. SAVE & EXIT,

See if it boots.
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:37 AM

O/S: Linux
Why dont you download a bootdisk then you dont need a CD device to create a boot-floppy