Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 3rd, 2015, 12:41 AM

Internet Explorer Keeps Crashing

Hello folks,

Hope you all are having a wonderful day/evening. I have a problem and i'm hoping someone here can help me with? I am running windows vista home premium on a HP laptop.

Everytime i open Internet Explorer it crashes and displays a message: "Internet Explorer has stopped working"...........everytime i try to click the red "X" to close the box, it reappears. It crashes so fast that the homepage doesn't get a chance to reload. I am running both Chrome and Firefox with no problems.

I already tried resetting ie with no luck. I also uninstalled and reinstalled with no success. I thought perhaps it was my AVG causing the problem so i uninstalled that to, with no results.

Any ideas? You help is greatly appreciated!

Here in Philly
Old July 3rd, 2015, 03:10 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Start>Run
Type in
iexplore.exe -extoff -nohangrecovery

See if it starts up.
What version of IE have you updated to?
Old July 12th, 2015, 09:16 PM

Hello Smurfy,

When i enter that command into cmd box it says: "iexplore.exe is not a recognized as an internal or external command"

i am running Internet Explorer Version 9.00.8112.16421.

I also forgot to mention that i am running Windows vista.
Old July 12th, 2015, 09:24 PM

Please ignore last post...... I put the command into the wrong box. When i enter "iexplore.exe -extoff -nohangrecovery" into the RUN box it opens internet explorer and immediately crashes and at the bottom of the page it says that "add-ons" are disabled.
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:51 PM

I figured out what the problem was.... a remnant from a toolbar "befrugal.com" located via msconfig--startup. I disabled the process and now the browser works fine. The only question I have now....is how to remove that entry so I can do a normal startup as opposed to a selective startup?
Old July 14th, 2015, 01:51 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
You might want to have a look here. There's a tool for removing entries in ms config instead of manually deleting them from the registry.
http://www.ghacks.net/2007/05/28/rem...onfig-startup/