Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:43 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
F8 key

In Vista can you hold down the F8 key to get into safe mode and system recovery and other utilities or is there some other key I have to hold down? My brother is trying to log onto his desktop and it keeps saying his user profile could not be loaded. I figured if we could get to system recovery we could go back to "Last known good configuration" or something like that. Apparently him holding down the F8 key doesn't do anything.

Thanx

Jim
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:26 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you need to tap and keep tapping the f8 key (not press and hold) as soon as you turn on the power. also if you have a vista disk, you should be able to do a system restore to a previously saved restore point.
Old May 18th, 2014, 05:50 PM

The F8 key can be tricky. During initial boot there are choices you can make to enter the bios, do a factory restore, and other stuff depending on the motherboard you have. They are usually listed on the screen for a short time. During this time the F8 key will not do anything, it's soon after that it will come into play. Like he said if you start to tap the F8 key at 1/2 second intervals it will eventually bring up the boot selection screen. I have one PC that always goes to a selection screen for which drive to boot from instead of going straight to the boot screen and I have to select my drive and hit the F8 key quickly after hitting enter for the right drive to get to system restore and last known good configuration selections.