Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:27 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Instll USB device

Ok I'm stumped.. I have a LG GP40NB40 external USB DVD/CD drive.. On this computer I'm running Vista Business 32bit but it keeps telling me it's a unknown device.. I tried it on my windows 8.1 machine & it works fine so I know it's not the drive.. I'm trying to install it on a Dell 745 & no way no how have I been able to find USB drivers for this computer or the LG device.. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get this working on Vista?? Thanks... Bill
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:17 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
did you reboot your system after plugging it in? tried different usb ports? go into disk management and see if you can assign a drive letter to it.

Last edited by renegade600; April 10th, 2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:28 PM

Thanks for responding.. Yes I've tried all of that over & over again.. The funny thing Vista was able to see it for a few min. at one time & after that no go so I tried it on my win 8.1 machine & it loaded it right away with no problem.. I think I may have corrupt USB drivers on this Dell vista but can't find where to get new drivers.. The disk that came with the drive only had a firmware update that I installed.. I tried to have windows look at the disk for a driver but none was found so I think it should use the Vista USB driver.. Help.. (:>)
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
there are no separate drivers for it. the firmware update added the win8 driver so the vista driver is part of the firmware. maybe you could try to look for the vista drivers for pnp at the computer manufacturers website and reinstall those. does the device manager show any exclamation marks?

I did noticed one thing, there are a lot of not working reviews for this drive.
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:26 PM

Quote.. does the device manager show any exclamation marks?

No, it just shows unknown device on one port.. I have uninstalled the unknown device & did a reboot & it just came back the same.. I've been all over the LG site & Dell site trying to find a fix but I may be over looking something.. Is there anyway to clean out the USB drivers & let Vista rebuild them?
Old April 14th, 2014, 05:21 PM

I know you probably already tried it but I have to mention it anyway. Your device gets its power from the PC's USB port. Front case USB ports are notorious for not supplying enough power to run devices bigger than a flash drive. Try several different usb ports in the back. The ones that come directly off the motherboard, they have the most power. Plug it in to the back and then reboot to see if Vista will load the drivers you need.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:45 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys but I thought you forgot me.. Yes I've tried other usb ports with no help it still won't load,, I pluged it into my vista laptop & it loaded right up with no problem. The drive that machine used was Version 6.0.6002.18005.. 6/2/2006.. Do any of you know where or how I could get that driver.. I sure can't seen to find it.. Thanks.. Bill
Old April 15th, 2014, 05:46 PM

That's probably a Windows generic driver and should be available on the Dell machine as well. What about looking on the Dell site for updated drivers for the motherboard. If there is a USB listing try reinstalling that. Otherwise the USB may be part of the chipset installer.
Old April 16th, 2014, 05:51 AM

Thank's I got it fixed. I used drivermax to load the driver on a flash drive my laptop used when I pluged my drive on it that worked.. Thanks again for sticking with me.. Bill