Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:11 AM

Lightbulb Windows could not start

"because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM"

I imagine this has been asked before, but when I tried searching I got soo many results.

Basically, I've tried wiping and reinstalling Vista with my recovery CD (several times). I am faced with this message when booting to HDD and cannot find a solution online.

Could anyone help me?
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:28 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Things are not always what they seem. I encountered the same error on an XP machine a couple of months ago and it turned out that the hard drive had failed.

When you booted from the Recovery media to do a factory install, did you make sure that your CD Rom drive was the first boot device in your bios?

If so, it would be a good idea to check the state of your hard drive. Go here and download SeaTools for DOS. Burn the iso to a CD and run both the short and long test.