Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:44 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Angry Please Help - Missing CD/DCVD Drive

Hi,

I am running Vista Home Premium on an HP AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor. I recently bought an iPhone so updated my iTunes to the latest version - that is when the trouble started. I found that I had lost the cd/dvd drive. It is not listed in Device Manager and no cd's or dvd's will play. I have looked at the 'fixes' on the Microsoft site and also on here and none of them work for me. The Microsoft Autofix says there is no cd/dvd drive but that it cannot repair the problem. I then used the manual instructions to remove the uper and lower filters. All that has done is to bring up an error message when I start up iTunes which says. 'The registry settings used by iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other cd burning software. Please reinstall iTunes'. I did do a reinstall but selected 'Repair' which has had no effect. I am frightened of doing a full reinstall in case I lose all the playlists, contacts etc and don't know if it will have any effect in helping locate the missing cd drive. Any help greatly appreciated as this is very frustrating.

Thanks in advance, Mick
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:56 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Try doing a system restore to just before you updated iTunes. That should fix your CD/DVD problem. You can try to reinstall the iPhone. It might work the second go about but we can't know for sure. As long as you don't erase the contact on your phone they shouldn't go away.
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:19 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the advice - sadly I've done a system restore but still no cd/dvd. Also the error message when I start up iTunes is still there so I'm still strugling - any more ideas please.

Mick
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:04 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I don't use iTunes, but just to be safe from here backup your playlists. Also, don't connect your iPhone until we get everything back up and running. This is just a precaution so we don't lose any of your information.
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM

Thanks for that - I'll do it now. Still struggling.