Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Windows Defender not booting up

Defender is not automatically starting up even though enabled under Tools/Options. I have to manually activate it each time after boot up. Also strange, that it automatically scans but not at the time I have set. Other than this, Defender and Vista seems to work flawlessly.

Also, any advice on my security and do you think I may have any conflicts or just have too much. On my Vista Home Premium 64 Bit, I'm using Windows Security Essentials, Windows Defender, Iobit Security 360. Also Advanced System Care Pro 3.4.1 and CCleaner 2.26.

Thanks. John.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi John. Microsoft Security Essentials disables Windows Defender so what you have described is by design. See here.

Quote:
Also, any advice on my security and do you think I may have any conflicts or just have too much. On my Vista Home Premium 64 Bit, I'm using Windows Security Essentials, Windows Defender, Iobit Security 360. Also Advanced System Care Pro 3.4.1 and CCleaner 2.26.
Allegedly, since Iobit Security was forced to removed the database they stole from MalwareBytes, the detection rate halved. This is not software I would be using nor would I use Advanced System Care Pro 3.4.1 and CCleaner 2.26.

I dont recommend the use of Registry Cleaners unless there is clear evidence of registry corruption AND the user has considerable expertise and understands exactly what the cleaner is doing. Contrary to popular belief, Registry cleaners will NOT speed up your operating system. I have seen too many examples of people trashing their operating systems using this type of software.