Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:25 AM

Question How to view content of clip board in Vista?

Hi, on my WinXP Laptop I was able to search out the clip board in the windows folder and place a shortcut on my desktop.
Now with Vista, I tried to do the same but the clip board desktop icon does not open.
Do you know of any way I can make it work? I have downloaded "Clip Magic" but so far don't have any luck with it either..
I have Vista 64 on my laptop.
Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Ann
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:17 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Through about an hour of scouring the internet and microsoft.com this is the conclusion I have came to:

In XP the clipboard was managed by clipbrd.exe which has been replaced with clip.exe in vista. Therefore the former clipboard viewers don't work. I was unable to find the location of the clipboard, I have no clue where to find something that you copied. I would be interested to know where to find that as well. I am betting that clip magic doesn't work because it wasn't made for vista 64-bit.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:17 PM

Thanks for writing, jazz.
I found the file in C-drive/ Windows Folder/System32.
It's in the "c's". It's listed as an application-.exe file, but it says only "clip" and not .exe. It doesn't open but I can place it as a desktop icon. Unfortunately, it doesn't open from there either. Frustrating.....I guess it's one of the Vista "improvements"
Also, I didn't know that Clip Magic is not usable for Vista. Thank you for letting me know.
Do you know of any way to view the clip board files?
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi anken. If you open notepad and hit Ctrl + V on your keyboard, the contents of your clipboard will be pasted into the file.
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:51 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Clip for you shows up as clip.exe for me because I have "Show know file extensions" enabled. They are the same file. Clip.exe is a command window app as in it runs in a command prompt to use the copy, cut and paste command. Microsoft changed to clip.exe for vista from XP's clipbrd.exe. They do basically the same thing just differently behind the scenes. Ann-Marie is right, if you want to view the contents of the clipboard you can just opne notepad and paste it there to see what it is.
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:30 PM

Thank you, AnnMarie! Once again you were right as you have been many times in the past. Your tip works great!
Jazz, also thank you for writing back. I will enable the file extensions. It's good to always learn something new.
What a great forum with it's people this is. Thank you!!
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Glad to help anken.