Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:49 AM

Any Idea Why Vista Crashes While Installing Updates?

I'm having a problem with Vista,

While Installing updates, Vista freezes and I have to roll back the install to get the PC operating again.

The operating system is fully licensed, and I could supply the product key to prove this too.

I have contacted Microsoft Tech Support and they were unable to help me. I would have thought that at this point they would have reimbursed me, or supplied another copy of the program but this is not so.

I was wondering if anyone else had any knowledge of this problem, or indeed have experienced it themselves.

As stated before, before anyone questions the authenticity of my product, I have the product key ready for further investigation.

Thank you very much for any help you may, or may not be able to give me. Your advice and time is much appreciated.

Happy New Year
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:28 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Could you please give which updates are failing? Also, are you updated to SP2? Does Vista crash or become unresponsive during the updates or does it error out and tell you that it errored out, as in do you get an error code of the failed updates? It could be a number of things but this information will help us narrow it down.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:05 AM

Hi,

The laptop hasnt been able to upgrade to SP2, it seems that this is the update that is throwing it. It tries to install the update but just sits at the screen with the scrolling bar, the HDD blinks every now and then, you then have to power off by pressing and holding the power button, which then goes through the startup repair menu etc. At the minute it seems to not be functioning at all, it gets to the scrolling bar windows loading page and no further.

Windows Tech Support tried getting me to do it another way but it didnt work, they then no longer contacted me.

So in answer, Vista becomes unresponsive during installing the updates, at the scrolling bar windows loading screen. There are no error codes and on looking at the update page after the first time it crashed it just said 'Update Failed'

Regards.