Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Can't do system restore

I can't do system restore. I get error that OS C: has errors and to do check disk. But chk dsk doesn't work, after I schedule it to run after computer restarts. I also got an error previously about java, which I don't know if that has any relevance on this issue.
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi snickers, Try running the System File Checker. Click on the Start orb and type cmd.exe in the Start Search box. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator". Once the Command Prompt opens, type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and hit Enter. The System File Checker will start. It might take a while to complete so be patient. Reboot when it has completed and schedule another chkdsk. Did this help?

If not, do you have a Vista DVD?
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:22 AM

I ran the system file checker and it didn't find anything. I rebooted and scheduled chkdsk upon restart but the system didn't run chkdsk after I restarted.
I have a Vista Reinstallation DVD.
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:47 PM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, we will try booting with the Vista DVD and see if we can run chkdsk from there.

Boot from the DVD and open a command prompt. See here for more help.

After the prompt, type:

chkdsk c: /r

after the prompt and hit Enter. Did it run this time? If so, it will take a while to complete but keep an eye on it and make a note of any errors and post them here.
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:02 AM

Is it okay to do this if the Vista DVD that I have is only the reinstallation DVD and not the full version one?
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:21 AM
CTH Subscriber

Reinstallation or Recovery DVD? If the latter, you can download a Vista disk image from here that will do the trick. Burn the iso to DVD, use it to boot and try running chkdsk according to the instructions I posted.
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:24 AM

It says reinstallation DVD. Will that work?
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:28 AM
CTH Subscriber

Probably. Have a look at the link I posted to help you and boot from it. Do you see a "Repair your computer option"? If so, it should be fine.