Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:35 AM

BOOTMGR is missing

Thanks for all of the suggestions, but unfortunately none of them have worked for me.

Backstory: I used EASUS Partition Manager to delete a partition on my secondary HD. (The C: drive is on its own 80GB platter; the partition I deleted shares a 1TB platter with my documents.) After EASUS restarted my system, I got a BIOS error message stating "PCI Parity Error !" I changed the HD boot order and it worked, but Vista kept telling me to register. I did, and on reboot I got the "BOOTMGR is compressed" message.

I tried this:

attrib bootmgr -s -r -h
del bootmgr
ren temp bootmgr
attrib bootmgr -a +s +r +h

but when I got to the "ren temp" line it said it couldn't find the file.

Now I got a "BOOTMGR is missing" error on restart. None of the suggestions given here for fixing that have worked.

I have tried:
bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Now even in the command line nothing works because it can't find the regular or temp bootmgr.

I could install a fresh copy of Vista on that partition I formatted, but I have TONS of specialized applications on my old startup that I can't reinstall because they were one-day deals (from giveawayoftheday_dot_com).

Please help if you can! I love all the MS Certified and otherwise favored techs here, and really appreciate any advice you can give.

\Brett

[edit]PS-knarfishness' suggestion didn't work as no right-click option is available in the browse window.[/edit]

Last edited by brettv72; September 11th, 2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM

Ummm, how active is this forum? I posted my detailed request a month ago and have received no reply.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM

O/S: Windows 11
its pretty active...did you start your own thread or just add to this one?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM

I replied because this was on topic and I didn't want to start another thread on a topic already covered here.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM

O/S: Windows 11
Yeah but sometimes you get more visibility in your own thread and some new eyes that havent looked at this thread in a long time if you know what I mean.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:53 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
usaf_gunner is correct brettv72 so I have separated your posts from that topic and started a new one for you. Also your issue is not the same as the others posted in that topic. It might have been but unfortunately when you ran the below commands, you deleted your boot manager.

Quote:
attrib bootmgr -s -r -h
del bootmgr <- this command deleted it
ren temp bootmgr
attrib bootmgr -a +s +r +h
So what we need to do is to concentrate on restoring it. You have posted some steps that you tried using a command prompt but have you tried booting from the DVD and running a startup repair? See here for more help if you need it.