Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM

Can't access files saved off internet, virtual file maybe?

Hi,

I hope someone can help because i'm really stuck!

I'm a student and whenever I save a (PDF) research paper from the internet I do the same old: save as, name it and put it in a folder etc etc

Problem is that when I try to access it again (where i've saved it), it isn't there! At first i thought i had done something wrong so went to save it again but when i was about to save it again i saw the file in the folder, i just can't seem to get it any other time.

I seem to remember a message about a 'virtual file' but i can't find anything.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance.
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If you first open whatever you use for pdf files, then use that program's File>Open option and navigate to the folder where you saved it, can you then see (and open) the saved file?
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:46 PM

No, when i do that, i go to the appropriate folder and 'no items match your search'.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:07 PM

*Bump!*

It appears not to affect word documents. In the past it has affected PDF and Microsoft document image writer documents.
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I've seen some report the problem with disappearing downloads being due to AVG. However, I use AVG on Vista and I haven't experienced it.

If you're running AVG, temporarily disable it and try another download.

Just another guess here but go to Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab, check "Show hidden files and folders," click OK and then see if the downloaded files are visible.

If not, go back into Folder Options and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files," OK the warning message and click OK to close the window. See if the downloaded files are then visible.