Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old September 26th, 2009, 07:28 AM

Exclamation Windows stuttering with too much activity

Salutations to all of you here in the forum..

I have Windows Vista SP2 with all updates from Windows Update.
3.0GHz Pentium IV Model 530 (Prescott)
1GB OCZ Ram
3.164TB total HDD Space
512MB nVidia GeForce 8600 GT
250GB for the Windows partition with 186GB free
I have been working to correct this problem and some miscellaneous contamination for some time now and something has developed.. Many programs have been reinstalled just to make sure it was nito a program error.. or corruption. I watch a lot of media and there is usually no breakup in the vid while doing several tasks at once. I now cannot even change a webpage without the video crackling and freezing.. forget downloading anything.. that almost locks the player. I have updated all soft on the computer.. from codecs to all attached programs.. What can We do to fix this??

I have cleaned the system thoroughly and will be putting it on for an additional vir scan.. have used Mnam, Windows Doctor, Registry Mechanic, Vista Manager ( repair system components, and rebuild the WMI, but no sys file check as of yet ) Quick Heal Antivirus active.

TIA and Namaste...

Rezig.

Last edited by Rezig; September 26th, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:05 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
clarification, your harddrive space, is it meg, gig or tb? How much drive space is on the windows partition or drive.

A quick thought, In spite of what microsoft says, vista really needs two gigs of ram to run efficiently.
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the noticing on the HDD listing.. and Yes.. I know Vista needs two, but this problem has been severe as of only the last 3 days.. I don't know what happened.. It never had problem with total breakup.. I am religious with my maintainence and have worked with PC since 1976. sooooo We don't usually get the small, common problems.. more oftenly the rare and oddball ones like this.,. I have tried so many things thus far and am going to run that vir-scan again while We sleep in a sec.. More RAM arrives next month.. but this is just.. wierd.. It's never happened before. not even with Windows live mail, JetAudio, two Web Browsers, miscellaneous document files, and even MS Word all running at the same time.. It might be a bit slow to process, but it never causes breakup like this has been exibiting.. All X-Setup and Vista Manager tweaks are in line.. so far. natha.. it is a tiny bit better, but no real dice. I have even had programs hang all of a sudden and crash.. where they never did before.. literally not wanting to even close...
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM

ok.. anti-vir scan run and cleanened ( again ) the system still reacts the same... could the ram be going or something?

I could do with some suggestions please... I lost all my downloads and have to reclaim everything before a reinstall happens.. besides.. i'd rather not reinstall.. if We don't have to, but media is a priority on this PC.. my's gets easily bored * sighs *

Last edited by Rezig; September 27th, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old September 27th, 2009, 09:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
If you habitually run a registry cleaner, it might be a case of one clean too many Rezig in which case, a reinstall may be the only fix.

To eliminate third party software as causing the problem, try cleanbooting and run this way for a day (see here, Step 1: Perform a clean boot). Dont troubleshoot it yet and make sure you dont download anything or surf to dodgy sites while you are running in this state because your antivirus will be disabled. Did you notice any difference?
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM

Ok.. Please let me clarify something Ann Marie.. I do not habitually use a registry cleaner and am sure that you are well aware that registry mechanic is one of the only cleaners out there that does not make a hash of the system.. I do a lot of beta testing and examination of software for others so they don't have to suffer from a bad program.. This problem began before any cleanings.. It is like something infected the machine and made some changes.. I did find a PE.Corrupt virus on the machine, among other things.. This studdering problem simply " Happened " when I wasn't doing anything.. As I have said before, I don't tend to suffer from easy to fix problems.. Do you think an in place install might fix the machine?>? This problem began when I lost my most valuable download drive with over 11 years of collected downloads, family pictures, important documents, ect ect ect.. It was a dreadful catastrophy and I almost lost windows entirely. I don't mind attempting your above suggestion, but it will.. take me a long time to accomplish and none of the usual TSRs are causing any real issues, unless it is a " Service " that is an issue. This PC takes forever to reboot due to the lack of proper ram size for Vista so I'd prefer to attempt an in place Install before going that far.. I would have simply backed up and done a proper reinstall after this happened, but it is kind of necessary to investigate other options first due to the loss of my download drive.. The OS is stable save for this one problem.,. I restored all registry backups from Registry Mechanic that occured from this month.. and Yes.. I do know better than to just let such a tool arbitrarily clean.. We go through and fix the entries from the missing programs and now.. the missing drive. and it helps.. I do.. keep my registry compacted of course. It should not be fragmented or in two parts, for proper functioning of the PC. As I said before.. I have worked with PC ever since it was invented by Steve Wozinac in in his garage in 1976.. I have seen the first apples and graduated to PC when windows 95 came out.. There is very little We do not know about them,.. so please Dear.. let's not cover the minor things.. I might just be stuck till after the 1st of the month when I can get a hold of the person who has all of my Utilities section. The OS is stable, but seems to be requiring too much memory.. I am going to go over the services section as suggested.. Nothing is set to too high of priority, so that should not be the problem and We generally deactivate certian unneeded services anyway.. I will not be turning off the Antivirus services so that the live test while on the net with video running will be safe.. I don't want another infection.. This PC managed to have several after a particular virus/trojan got in there.. and I suspect some sort of infection still remains... Beyonde the service and TSR testing, what do you reccommened?

Thank you in advance..

Rez
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
I do not habitually use a registry cleaner and am sure that you are well aware that registry mechanic is one of the only cleaners out there that does not make a hash of the system
I am aware of nothing of the sort. I have seen many instances of Registry Mechanic trashing a system.

I suggest that if you think your operating system is infected, that you post a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum.
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM

I am just goig to try an in place install before reinstalling.. but thanks anyway.. I notice you missed that question.. the system is thoroughly scanned by Quick Heal Antivirus Plus.. Which is still.. one of the best and lowest cost protections out there.. and frankly.. I was persuing various options in the above post.. I have never had registry mechanic hash my system because of careful usage... but something.. has been messed up.. don't quite know what though.. every examination tool yields no results... All the same.. keep up the good work.. I will try the services alterations after I get the backups made and downloads prepared and then, will get back with you with my findings.. no sense in monkeying with things while the machine is working..

Namaste...

Rez.
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezig View Post
Ok.. Please let me clarify something Ann Marie.. I do not habitually use a registry cleaner and am sure that you are well aware that registry mechanic is one of the only cleaners out there that does not make a hash of the system..

Rez
first of all to your problem, there is always a chance an auto windows update or some auto update to something you have running in the background is using more resources than before.

Did you update the drivers to your audio and video? While it is studdering, what does your performance tab in your task manager shows for memory usage? The same with cpu, is it higher than normal.

Check your process and see which one is using an abnormally high amount of cpu or memory.

As far as registry mechanic messing with systems, it has mine when I was checking it out for someone to help them with a problem. I had to do a system restore to a restore point just prior to using it. It is like any other software package, things can happen.
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:39 AM

Thank you for making an Honest effort Renegade.. instead of being impolite Like Ann Marie was to me.. ( for the first time I might add ) I am going to say screw these marbles into the nearest funnel and do a reinstall.. can't take this any longer.. I can't watch vids.. it's not the fragging Registry cleaner.. I don't appreciate Ann taking her bad day out on me.. and Renegade? If you had not been so polite I would definitely stop telling people to come here for help.. My problems may be the types designers and third and fourth and fifth level techs have to resolve, but that is STILL.. no reason for rudeness now is it.. If you don't fargin know. then just say so.. She COULD have been a bit more constructive, rather than showing me that she's on the cycle.. that's just rude, and Ann Marie?? Dont worry.. you and I won't speak any more.. I don't deal with sometimes folk like you. Bless you in your life.. I hope these words make you realize that you are providing a SERVICE... and that does not mean you cannot be rude to folk because you are feeling bad... And don't try to play like you were not.. I know better.. have had so much training in psychiatrics and also have doctors in the fam and so on.. so go take a chill pill and hence forth ignore or tell someone else to handle your job when you can't take it... I'm very offended... you almost lost a very loud voice for this site with your attitude.. and YES.. My's not afraid to say it.. You think you felt bad that day?? Try almost winding up in the hospital last night.. welcome to my world.

I do.. thank the peoples of this forum for being here.. and Renegade?? I can tell you honestly tried.. I have just had enough of a problem that can take days to fix.. Was just trying to avoid the fuuuuuuull reinstall because an ISO I made a while back contained damage and a virus and the backup to HDD got corrupted because of this error that just.. HAAAAPPPPPENED. on its own.. after an MS update installed.. I know I did not mention this, but it only dawned on me yesterday eve, My Bad.. This.. and previous posts are STILL... No Excuse for Marie the Pea.. to bite my head off just because she feels like pooski that day.. Anyway.. Forgive and move on it is this time.. Just remember.. We are a loud voice in the net community.. I don't like closiing doors.. it makes Us feel terrible... Ann Marie?? you know better.. you are no childe.. Please don't ever act like that towards me again.

Thanks again Renegade.. I do hope to see you around sometime..

God and Goddess Bless... Namaste....

Rez.

Last edited by Rezig; September 30th, 2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:08 AM
CTH Subscriber

Good lord, is there a full moon tonight? Topic closed.
Closed Topic