Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:12 AM

O/S: Windows Vista
Free Vista Themes damaged my computer!

Here's my situation:

I have downloaded some free vista themes and installed it in my system. Now, after following the instructions and tweaking shell32.dll. I had some problems. After I reboot my computer, LOGONUI.exe and EXPLORER.exe cannot load because shell32.dll is missing.
As i've seen and read in other forums, my situation is very familiar. the only thing that makes my bother is that I can't access Safe Mode with command prompt. That is the only way to recover my lost shell32.dll. I remember that I copied the original shell32.dll on my document folder. I am not sure if cmd.exe and command.com is really missing.
I also tried to acces it using MS-DOS but can't read NTFS drives.

I am using Vista Ultimate SP1.

Please help me with this one. Thanks!
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:02 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
You will need to boot from the VISTA DVD and do a repair. What do you mean "Tweaking the shell32.DLL".?

Boot off the installation dvd, and choose the "Repair your computer" option on the lower left hand side.

Click next on the next screen, and then choose System Restore from the System Recovery dialog. It will take a few seconds to come up, and you will see the same screen that you would see in Windows:

Click next, and on the next screen select the drive that your copy of Windows Vista is installed on.
Click Finish, and Vista will roll back to the previous restore point. Really pretty simple stuff.