Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:40 AM

Thumbs down Vista - Vundo?

Hello.

I have an HP Pavilion dv2500 Notebook PC pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium - Service Pack 1 that I bought for Christmas from BestBuy.

I recently started getting pop-ups and figured it was just junk from the websites I was visiting, not thinking much of it. My computer/internet gradually seemed to slow down, and one day upon starting up my computer Windows Defender came about, informing me that I had one malicious trojan to remove. Of course Windows Defender cannot remove it... I then sought alternate methods of removing the trojan which turned out to be the infamous Virtumonde [Vundo Trojan].

The program I use to keep my computer free of such viruses, Spybot - Search & Destroy, seemed to remove the trojan, but it was only temporary. Upon reboot my computer was back to the former state of infection.

Being naive, I researched "Vundo" on Wikipedia for general information about the virus, and through it I found a website claiming to get rid of the Vundo Trojan. [http://bbayles.googlepages.com/antivundo.html]

I began to follow the instructions to remove the Vundo Trojan. I downloaded Microsoft's ListDLLs v2.25 to find the files being used in the system, and it seemed to work as expected. I then used Command Prompt to run ListDlls, and the file output.txt was created. However, when I tried to open output.txt [even as an administrator] it failed to present the results I expected. The document read:

"ListDLLs v2.25 - DLL lister for Win9x/NT
Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

You do not have the DEBUG privilege, which is required to run this program"

After doing more research, not knowing one bit about what I was doing, I downloaded Windows Sysinternals' DebugView. I guess I thought that would allow me to view the file, but it obviously did not.

Basically, I have no idea what I am doing. The only things I really know are that my computer is infected with the Vundo Trojan, and I want it off of my computer.... If anybody can help me with this at all, I would be much obliged. I don't know much about computers, but I can follow instructions.

Please help me.
Thank you.
Old July 15th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Go to this thread. The second post in that thread has a link to download Hijack This and a link to a good animated tutorial on how to use it.

Once you have a Hijack This log, don't try to fix anything, just start a new thread in the Cyber Safety forum and paste your Hijack This log in for the experts there to analyze and help you get rid of whatever malware may be present.

Please do not post your log here. Please post your log in the Cyber Safety forum forum.

Cyber Safety is always busy but they will get to you. Please be patient.