Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:57 PM

Autoplay will not start autorun.exe on CDs

I have my auto play in the control panel checked on to automatically run software or applications and to ask before playing other media files. The autoplay menu doesn't pop up when either a music CD or application CD is inserted in my CD/DVD drive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a one-month old HP desktop with Vista home premium.
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi cracker39. Try clicking on "Reset all Defaults" and reset your preferences. Ok your changes and reboot. Did this help?
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:49 PM

I did reset all defaults and re-selected the actions for each disk type then rebooted. I just inserted a game install CD with an autorun.exe file on it and it does not run the application. To check further, I inserted an audio CD (purchased, not burned at home) which should have started the menu to ask me what action to take and no menu appeared. It's as if the autoplay just doesn't work on my PC. I never had this problem with XP.

I searched microsoft.com for autoplay and found the autoplay repair wizard. I downloaded and ran it, but an error message appeared that it had stopped working. I downloaded and ran it again with the same results. It won't run to completion on my PC. I later read a thread on a Vista forum that implied that this repair wizard may be for XP, not for Vista.
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:28 PM

First, I found that the disk I was trying to use to install a game had an autorun.exe and game that is incompatible with Vista. So, I inserted a disk with Office for Vista that I had installed on a laptop with Vista to see if the autorun.inf file would cause the autoplay menu to start...it did not. For some reason, the autoplay seems to be disabled.

I found and followed these instructions:

1. Click the Start button , click All Programs, click Accessories, and then right-click Command Prompt.
2. Click Run as administrator.
3. At the command prompt, type net start shellhwdetection, and then press ENTER.
4. Restart your computer.

When I did #3 it said that this was already working.
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

I need to see a couple of registry settings.

Open an elevated command prompt as you did in your previous post and copy and paste the below command after the prompt and hit enter.

Code:
reg query "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom" > C:\look.txt & start notepad c:\look.txt
Your registry will be scanned and when finished, Notepad will pop up with some information. Copy and paste it in this thread. Now do the same for the below command and copy and paste that information here too.

Code:
reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" > C:\look1.txt & start notepad c:\look1.txt
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:15 AM

Thanks. Here they are:

reg query "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom" > C:\look.txt & start notepad c:\look.txt

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\CDRom
Start REG_DWORD 0x1
Type REG_DWORD 0x1
ErrorControl REG_DWORD 0x1
ImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
DisplayName REG_SZ CD-ROM Driver
Group REG_SZ SCSI CDROM Class
DriverPackageId REG_SZ cdrom.inf_x86_neutral_db87d184bc84f910
AutoRun REG_DWORD 0x1
AutoRunAlwaysDisable REG_MULTI_SZ NEC MBR-7 \0NEC MBR-7.4 \0PIONEER CHANGR DRM-1804X\0PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-6324X\0PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-624X \0TORiSAN CD-ROM CDR_C36
Tag REG_DWORD 0x3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\CDRom\Parameters
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\CDRom\Enum

reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Po licies\Explorer" > C:\look1.txt & start notepad c:\look1.txt

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoResolveTrack REG_DWORD 0x1
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:56 AM
CTH Subscriber

More than two years later? The Jokes Forum is at the bottom of the page.
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Yes, it's been a while since I posted the problem, but the problem does still exist today. I was also suprised that I got a reply so much later, but what the heck. If the problem can be fixed, then better late than never. I don't know why it took two years for someone to try to help, but I would be pleased if I could get the autoplay to work on my PC. I am serious, this is no joke. I'm not some kid looking for a laugh. I'm 71 years old.

Last edited by cracker39; May 10th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:47 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker39 View Post
I don't know why it took two years for someone to try to help, but I would be pleased if I could get the autoplay to work on my PC.
It didnt. I replied within hours of each of your posts. It took 2+ years for you to finally reply.

Your registry settings are fine and on reviewing your topic, I see that you have tried most documented fixes. If you have installed Service Pack 1 and are up to date with your Windows patches, the problem could be caused by software you have installed when the problem first started. The only way to find out is to uninstall it. See "Uninstall conflict software" here. I think it's way past the time when System Restore could help though although that probably was a good option a couple of years ago.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:44 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi AnnMarie,
I have the same problem and I did what you had suggested and this is what the text reads:

Start REG_DWORD 0x1
Type REG_DWORD 0x1
DisplayName REG_SZ Controlador de CD-ROM
DriverPackageId REG_SZ cdrom.inf_x86_neutral_db87d184bc84f910
AutoRun REG_DWORD 0x1
AutoRunAlwaysDisable REG_MULTI_SZ NEC MBR-7 \0NEC MBR-7.4 \0PIONEER CHANGR DRM-1804X\0PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-6324X\0PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-624X \0TORiSAN CD-ROM CDR_C36
Tag REG_DWORD 0x3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\CDRom\Parameters

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_DWORD 0x91

I see that the drive has no type... How can I reset the drive type? I have had this problem for a couple of years also (originally with Vista and still with recently installed Windows 7) Can you help me with this? Thanks in advance.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 03:13 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi Sirenane. Your registry settings are fine. Try the troubleshooting steps here.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:45 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Thanks for your help AnnMarie I will check that out.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

You are welcome and good luck.
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:49 AM

Hi AnnMarie can u help me plz im not to good with this notepad thing sorry so sloppy i have done what u told others to do
AutoRun REG_DWORD 0x1
AutoRunAlwaysDisable REG_MULTI_SZ TORiSAN CD-ROM CDR_C36\0NEC MBR-7 \0NEC MBR-7.4 \0PIONEER CHANGR DRM-1804X\0PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-6324X\0PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-624X \0TORiSAN CD-ROM CDR_C36
DisplayName REG_SZ CD-ROM Driver
Start REG_DWORD 0x1
Type REG_DWORD 0x1
Tag REG_DWORD 0x3

i copy and paste the 2nd code but it says "ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry keys or value.
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:35 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, go here and scroll down to the Fixits for Vista etc. Run the "Enable" Fixit and reboot. Did this help?