Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM

computer gets stuck - needs to be hit

Hi all,

This computer's been problematic since I got it. I've always had to press the power button over and over again (on average around 40 times) until it finally just starts up. Sometimes hitting the computer on its side will work. This happens every single time I shut it down. When it finally does start up, the clock is where it was when I shut down.

Lately, it's started to get stuck. It can happen anytime, when making high demands on the machine or practically none. I can still move the mouse, and pull up the task manager, but nothing else. The power light on the front of the computer has gone off, but it's clearly still running. If I hit the computer hard enough, it will start going again, and all the commands that I pressed in the meantime (after it got stuck) will be executed, in order, while I watch, impotent. It's also started to lose time (not just windows, the system clock too) while running, constantly - immediately after resetting it starts to lose time, both when the computer is on AND off.

It seemed like something was loose (otherwise why would hitting it help?), but I've had it all apart and everything seems to be tightly connected. I've also blown all the dust out, etc. I am making some fairly high demands power-wise (lots of usb attachments) but I'm not sure if a weak psu could account for these sorts of problems. The power light flickers on and off irregularly all the time, though, but it always has done so I'm not sure if that's normal. Just to be sure, I've run every virus/spyware check imaginable, and it all comes back clean. It seems hardware; any ideas? Do you think just needing to replace a battery could cause those kinds of problems? Here are the specs...

- HP Compaq Business Desktop dc5000

- Intel Pentium 4, CPU 2.80 GHz

- 2.79 GHz, 504MB RAM

- Running Windows XP with all updates

- Power Supply: Operating Voltage Range 90–132 VAC 180–264 VAC, Rated Voltage Range 100–127 VAC 200–240 VAC, Rated Line Frequency 50–60 Hz 50–60 Hz

- attached via USB are a Seagate external hard drive (with its own power supply), a wireless mouse, a keyboard, and a Sony DVD burner (with its own power supply)

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can offer.

Last edited by brandoc; October 23rd, 2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:38 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi Brandoc,
The first thing I'd try is check the battery with a voltmeter or just replace it.
Next suspect is the power supply. You give all kinds of voltage ranges, but how many watts total is it capable of?
Have you had the motherboard out of the case? If something is shorting the back of the motherboard to the case, that might cause the symptoms you describe. I'm thinking of a misplaced standoff or a screw dropped down behind the motherboard.
HTH,