Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 29th, 2003, 01:58 AM

Windows 98 install with Virtual Disk

I need some help. I am trying to install Win 98 to a 3 gig HD, and I am having problems with the install do to drive C: being a MS-RAMDRIVE Virtual disk. The BIOS will not see the Master physical HD but reads the secondary drive. I do not have a secondary drive in the system. I am stumped.
Old March 29th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Hijack Advisor

Hi Elder1224...welcome to CTH.

I'm a little stumped too as you seem to understand the Ramdrive aspect when reinstalling. As I understand it, the bootdisk (system) files will be on C: (Ramdrive), so every other drive will be bumped up a letter during the process. Have you tried running setup from the CD-ROM letter +1. Has the drive been fdisked/formatted? Can you "see" any drives by typing the drive letter?

If a Ramdrive has been created by the bootdisk, maybe the BIOS gets confused. But don't quote me on that...I really have no idea. In the process of installation, the only part the BIOS may have to play is to set the boot order.
Old March 29th, 2003, 04:11 PM

Thanks, The main problem I am having is Windows 98 will begin setup....go thru most of the set up then freeze after the computer restarts. The screen says Windows 98 is beginning to run for the first time then the screen goes to a black screen that says Windows is configuring files, this may take a few minutes. Then the setup screen comes up again and I am able to type in the CD-KEY, the setup process continues to load the driver database, then the computer restarts again. This is when it freezes everytime. The screen goes to a black screen that says Windows is configuring files, this may take a few minutes, then a cursor just flashes in the left corner of the screen with the words still on the screen. I try to power off the system but the power button does not work, I have to hold it in until the system reboots. After that it tells me to reboot into safe mode and that just confuses the PC. It freezes after I do that as well. WEIRD!
Old March 30th, 2003, 04:12 PM

No more Windows 98! I installed Windows 2000 and everything is OK now. Thanks for the advice anyway.