Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:57 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Question VISTA - Updates OK or wait for SP1?

I'm about ready to replace my 3+ y/o IBM X40 laptop, and looking at Lenovo & Dell Latitude options (this is our 'travel' computer, so want that size) - seems like VISTA is the OS being 'pushed' - I'm currently goin' through David Pogue's book from O'Reilly - this seems like a good upgrade, but the comments in this forum have been quite mixed, and some downright negative!

In the past, I've usually waited until a SP1 has been released by MS$$, but in discussing this w/ my son (a network manager in Indianapolis), he seems to feel that the SP1 release is 'up in the air' and that the periodic 'updates' released by MS will simply be the SP1 release package, i.e. no important 'new' additions - if that is true, I would feel comfortable in getting VISTA now rather than waiting - thus, is it worth a wait of 'months' or should one 'bite the bullet' now? Thanks -
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Vista SP1 is on the way (see here and search Google for more). I personally like Vista, and would recommend it with a new computer. If it comes pre-installed there shouldn't really be any driver issues and it is easy to learn. If you don't know how to do something, there is always this forum and Google to help.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM

well, chances are the laptop is going to come with vista, and it will acutally cost more to pay for XP.
Right now XP is ALOT more STABLE and FASTER. so im staying with XP on this PC even though ive got vista on a different pc. now, if its on a laptop, the laptop in my opinion would be better off with XP, since Vista is a resource hog and would reduce your options on usage for the laptop.
In the end you will need to research some more, maybe even test it out on a trial or something. But if it were my choice id go with the better performance and stay with XP
Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:48 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
The biggest problem I see with Vista is people skimping on HARDWARE. Low end processors and not enough system RAM or Video RAM.

The other thing is to see if the software you already own is Vista ready. And if your printers,cameras,scanners, ect. are going to work.

And knowing how to rid yourself of the BLOATWARE that the makers put on them.

I use and enjoy Vista.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
If you are getting a new computer, get vista. However, if you have older hardware and software that will be installed, then you need to make sure they are vista compatible.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM

Exactly as renegade said, make sure all the hardware is vista compatible. I also agree with porthos, many people are purchasing PCs from places such as bestbuy that give them a mediocre processor, 1 gig of cheap ram, a big hard disk to try and compensate, and a video card that can barely handle the vista features.
Even though ive got enough system recs to have all those "extra features" turned on with vista, ive turened them off to run faster, since they are quite unnecessary. If you were going to go with vista, dont listen to M$ about the system recs, heres what i would consider bare minimum to run vista with good speed and efficiency:
-dual core processor at least 2.0ghz if AMD, higher if Intel.
-video card with 256mb of ddr2 ram
-hard drive size doesnt make a huge difference but it depends on what youre doing with it.
-2 gigs ddr2 RAM
-newer motherboard with new chipsets for efficiency

Note that these are what i would consider necessary to run vista without too many problems. If you dont want to pay for all these, i would go with xp seeing it would run great on les than half of those specs.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Thanks all for your responses - I was pretty much convinced to go w/ VISTA since I'll likely be using this laptop for 2-3 yrs and MS$$ will probably reduce their support for XP sometime in the near future? My son has not deployed VISTA yet in his workplace but likely will if a SP is released - I would assume that just doin' regular VISTA updates will pretty much cover the first SP (unless 'something' new is added?).

The laptops I'm reviewing are new ones, and I assume are pretty much ready for VISTA since it is being offered by them; however, the systems that I 'customized' had the following upgrades: faster dual core CPU, 2 GB RAM, upgraded video card, and 60-80 GB HD (don't plan to add a lot of extra software for this machine). Thanks again -
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:47 PM

no problem, sounds like youve got it all figured out now too.