Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

Transferring Vista

I have Vista Premium installed on my old PC. I have purchased a laptop which already has Vista Home installed. Obviously, the Vista Premium is not an OEM, so I can transfer it to the notebook. What is the situation with regard to the activation. Do I have to deactivate the OS on the PC or can I just install it on the new machine and activate as normal?
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:55 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi Nancy,

If you purchased a retail copy of Windows Vista and install it on a PC, you can install that same copy on another PC, provided you remove it from the original PC.

The following is taken from a .pdf file from MS;

16. TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY.

a. Software Other Than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may
make a one time transfer of the software, and this agreement, directly to a third party. The first
user must uninstall the software before transferring it separately from the device. The first user
may not retain any copies.
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. You may transfer the software directly to a third
party only with the licensed device. You may not keep any copies of the software or any earlier
version.

You would then have to buy another OS for your old PC.
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I bought the software from a retailer. I am rather perturbed over the transferring of the software to a third party. There is no third party involved as it is an arrangement between me and myself. This means that if I decide in a year or to upgrade the laptop - I can't transfer it over to a new computer!
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi again,

Just read the first paragraph of my first post. I added that bit of blurb from Microsoft in case any said "What about the license agreements" kinda thing.

So you can (as far as I'm able to tell) use the retail CD to install that onto your laptop but you can only do it the once. You will have to remove the Operating System from your old PC and buy another OS to put on it.

You could call MS from the UK on 0870 60 10 100 if you want clarification.

Licensing agreement here.
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:53 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy:

I think dohray is not fully understanding the third-party phrase.

A third party would be if you gave the program to someone else.

In your case, you can install the software on as many of your systems as you like but it would have to be removed from any other system prior to activation.

You would have to to re-activate.

As per Microsoft:

Will I Ever Need To Reactivate Windows Again?

Maybe. You might have to activate Windows again if:

You uninstall Windows on one computer and install it on another. During installation, enter the product key that came with your copy of Windows. If automatic activation fails, follow the instructions that walk you through activating Windows by phone. You will have 30 days to activate your copy of Windows.
•You make a significant hardware change to your computer, such as upgrading the hard disk and memory at the same time. If a major hardware change requires activating Windows again, you will be notified and will have three days to activate your copy of Windows.
•You reformat your hard disk. Reformatting erases your activation status. In this case, you’ll have 30 days to activate Windows again.
•A virus infects your computer and deletes your activation status.
If you have to activate Windows again, you don't need to buy a new product key.
To activate Windows on this computer, do the following:
Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button , clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Click here to activate Windows now.* If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Please read the bold print.

This was taken from HERE.

Also, as per dohrays link:

REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.

a.
Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.

Murray
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:43 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks for the clarification Murray...never was any good with jargon (and a lot of other stuff)
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
No problem.

Murray
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:04 AM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks that's what I originally thought - but I had to make sure that my thinking was OK. I know it has to be reactivated, but I wasn't sure if it could be done before I uninstall it from the PC. Thanks guys!
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

I just want to clarify something. To remove Premium completely from the PC -I boot it up from the CD and will see an option to delete the OS - yes?
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

OK I am now ready to inter my old and faithful PC in the recycle dump up the road (sob) and the router and printer etc., are now installed on my new laptop.
I have read through your postings and though very helpful, I do have just one more question to ask. How do I actually deactivate the PC, so that I can finally install the Vista premium software on the laptop?