Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:16 PM

Getting Vista, do I dual-boot?

Hello, I'll be getting a CD set-up in the mail. What if any, are the advantages to dual-booting. From what I've read it seems to be about Vista not being able to run the things you're used to. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:32 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Dual booting leaves your XP installation alone and installs Vista in another partition, either an existing one or one you will create just for Vista. That way you can boot up with either windows version. Advantages of dual booting are you’re unable to get into your main OS or you want to evaluate whether to install the upgrade to a new release of Windows. It is also a crude solution to compatibility problems. lol The cd will ask you for a clean install or to upgrade. Real simple, it will do it all for you. Mostly what you wanna do is all.
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:49 PM

O.K., so if I only need one OS, I should just install the Vista when it arrives and what, uninstall XP? I don't know if you need some high powered computer to dual-boot. I have Compaq Presario SR2032X with memory upgraded to 1GB.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:00 PM

No it will only start one windows at a time. You will not have both XP and Vista running at same time. Dual boot is pre windows load, your still in bios is where you get the option to choose which one you want to boot up. Some are keeping the option because Vista is so new and are not sure yet, folks want to make sure it will be to their liking before they totally commit. It is just a matter of how cautious you want to be. You should be fine with running dual boot if you have hard drive space available. To give yourself enough room to experiment, you should have at least 20 GB of space available on either the second partition or on the second hard disk.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM

Alright XPS, I get it. By the time Vista arrives I'll have my research done as far as compatability with things I like to do. I'll probably dual-boot until I'm comfortable about Vista too. Thank you.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:06 PM

O/S: MacOS
Also keep in mind that if this is a free upgrade you're getting from your computer manufacturer it's only going to be an upgrade disc which means you won't have the option to do a clean install b/c it will upgrade the existing XP installation to Vista.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:07 PM

Your welcome and you might need some drivers when you install it I had to get a few. Here is a good site for them. The dual boot isn't that hard to get rid of if you decide to stay with Vista.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Sorry I didn't see anything about it being the free upgrade. Make sure to note Baser-X's comment.
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM

Out of town for a while Thank you for the responses, Guinness Man