Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:04 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Question constant lockout

Ok we have a desktop pc on a network and a few laptops which log onto the network from time to time. All pc's are running winxp pro. I have administration rights on the desktop and have mapped network drives Z and Y to access resources on it.

All who access the resources have a login name on the desktop.

Recently I found my account locked on the desktop pc, preventing access to the resources. When this happens, and it appears to be intermittent, I have to log on using a different admin account and unlock it.

I've done a step by step check and established that, as soon as I click on the mapped network drive wammo! I'm locked out, thats before the login window appears?

I've disconnected the mapped network drives and re-mapped them, I've changed my password several times, I've selected 'password never expires' but still it happens but it's not everytime??

I't doesn't matter weather I'm logged on locally to the desktop or not

AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY !!!!!!!!

anyone any ideas what I could check??

Meeeeeeeeeee
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:57 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Sounds like you have a stored password somewhere that is incorrect and locking you out.

Go to the desktop...

start->run->"gpedit.msc"->enter

Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Account Policies->Account Lockout

"Account Lockout Threshold" is probably whats doing it to you. Set this to never lock you out and you should be good.
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel122184
Go to the desktop...

start->run->"gpedit.msc"->enter

Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Account Policies->Account Lockout

"Account Lockout Threshold" is probably whats doing it to you. Set this to never lock you out and you should be good.
Thanks ........ will that be on the remote or host PC?

Meeeeeeee
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:15 PM

sorry for the delay, long weekend, should be on the host.
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:11 PM

I've been locked out again and logged in after unlocking and go to the policy you said. When I open it, i.e. view properties, the item I want to change is grayed out and can not be changed?? (it's set to lock out after three failed attempts).

is there a digit I could change in the registry or any way of clearing the cached bad password?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

meeeeeeee
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Unless your computer is in a domain or managed by some other means, that shouldn't be greyed out...

To delete the cached password, just delete the mapped network drive (while it is connected) and remap it.
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Red face

Quote:
Unless your computer is in a domain or managed by some other means, that shouldn't be greyed out....
I think when that particular pc was setup it was initially part of a domain but as since been disconnected.

Quote:
To delete the cached password, just delete the mapped network drive (while it is connected) and remap it.
I disconnected the mapped network drives and re-connected them but it made no difference.

I've now created another user account so I'll see how that will work next time I log on.

Thanks

Meeeeeeeeeee