Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 2nd, 2006, 10:09 PM

Unhappy Hour Glass Problem

Cancelled a 3 day free trial from `Recorded T.V.`, but in MY COMUTER`in `Shared Files` a File pops up, containing nothing : even after delation time and time again. Also, since this happened `Hour Glass` icon flashes non stop! How do I stop this? PLEASE HELP.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:26 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
did you uninstall it or just cancel?
Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Goto start/control panel/add and remove programs and then when the list comes up find the software that you installed for the free trial and click on the buton that says remove (could say something similar but it should have remove on it) and let it uninstall. Restart your machine and that should of stopped it. Post again if this didn't work.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:07 PM

Thanks for your reply Dan. I cancelled `Recorded T.V.`3-day trial & uninstalled there sofware.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:12 PM

Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:18 PM

Thanks for your support Metro1973, done all you suggested within 3 day trial! But still in ` My Computer` `Shared Files` I get that `Recorded T.V.`File & Hour Icon flashing! Help!!!
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
CTH Subscriber

Try this and click on the button that says issues. Next click on the button that says "scan for issues" at the bottom of the page. It will list all the issues on your computer (don't worry my list is huge sometimes). Now the "fix selected issues" button can be clicked on. I would scroll through the list and see if you can find the program that's giving you the problems, if it's not there then it's up to you whether you fix the issues. If it is there you have 2 choices, either fix all selected problems or just that one. I use this program once every month or so and I have never had any problems after fixing the issues. But if you decide to go all out make sure you make a back-up of the registry when it asks you. btw you do this at your own risk and I will not be held responsible if anything goes wrong. If you want more information or a more detailed tutorial just Goggle ccleaner and you should find something.
http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp

Last edited by Metr01973; June 3rd, 2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:41 PM

`Hour Glass` Icon

Thanks Metro1973, coundnn`t find `ISSUES` but downloaded ccleaner, good news first `Recorded T.V. File has disappeared and cleaner has cleared all the rubbish out, MOST IMPRESSED. ( have a`McFee Security Centre` which is suppposed to protect.) Bad news is the `hour Glass` Icon still flashes even behind ons creen curser - any more advice appreciated!
Old June 3rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

When you start ccleaner there some icons on the left hand side. From top to bottom they read - cleaner, ISSUES, tools, options. It's the second one down. Just click on that and then scan for issues and then if you want fix the selected issues. I'm not saying that will work but it does clear out the registry of any unwanted bits left over from uninstalling etc. I just thought that it might have left something in the registry and cleaning it up might fix the problem. If you havn't yet give it a go.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:08 PM

Wink

[B]Unfortunatly, `Recorded T.V.` has returned in `Shared Docs` and `Hour Glass` Icon still flashing extremely fast and flashing behind cursor!( I found `ISSUES` and proceeded as directed). Would you suggest I set ccleaner to run every time I work on P.C. ? Thanks for advice any more appreciated Metro1973[/B]
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
sounds like you still have stuff installed from the tv whatever, go down the list of your add/remove and see if theres anything else that looks like its from the same company.

One thing you can try do is to restore to a previously saved restore point to just prior to the installation of the software and trial.
Old June 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM
CTH Subscriber

Personally I like to run ccleaner manually. So I wouldn't reccomened it. Atleast then you can decide on what actions to take. Ccleaner can be a bit over zealous at times especially when you the cleaner. I usually like to keep all my internet history etc because you don't have to keep putting in your username and password every time you visit a site. So when I run it I tend to pick what I want cleaned. But with the issues I just scan it and then fix the lot in one go. If this hasn't worked then I suggest what renegade600 mentions and see if you can't restore to a previous time. When you installed the trial it should of created a system restore point. Either go with that one or one before. start/all programs/accesories/system tools/system restore and then follow instructions. Where did you get the trial from? These types of trials can be a real pain as they leave behind certain things to remind you to buy the program. The cursor thing could be a fault or it could be intentional.

Last edited by Metr01973; June 4th, 2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Hi Metro1973,

I have been off-line, as a consequence of using `Windows System Restore Points`, my Mcfee Security centre un-installed!. After several attempts & a neighbours help have re-enstalled. Relialise any advice given is at ones own risk. Whilst there, he run a `Spybot Search and destoty` which wqs successfull untill the following day, `Recorded T.V.` appeared again. The Website which started this greif was `MOVIE PASS`, and now believe it was a file grabber. Thanks for assistance to date, as ever from you and all advice appreciated.

Rexion.
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

It's sounds like spyware. Post in the cyber safety forum on this site. They will probably tell you to download Hijack this and post the report in a thread. But have a look and post your problem in there. That's the trouble with those kind of trial versions, I downloded one and ended up with a piece of spyware aswell (not movie pass but something different) and with the help I got I managed to get rid of mine but it's takes alot of work i.e booting into safe mode, removing this, running that but like I said it did get rid of it. How did you lose your net connection? it shouldn't do that with a system restore unless the program that you use to connect was installed after the restore point. same goes for Mcaffee. Good luck and thanks for posting back to let us know if we were of help. Here's the link to the cyber safety forum.
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25