Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Error message at startup

Hello, my laptop runs windows xp sp2, and thats about all i know. I dont know its specs. Recently, there were a number of viruses found on my laptop, and i had to use ewido anti malware 3.5 in safe mode to remove them (because the other programs were not succedding in removing it). However, I now get an error when I start up saying:

Windows cannot find 'c:\WINDOWS\inet20001\winlogon.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click Search.

I click on ok, but then a second error message comes up:

Desktop
Could not load or run 'c:\WINDOWS\inet20001\winlogon.exe' specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the registry.

Now, I would do this myself, but I searched in other forums about winlogon.exe, and it said that there should only be 1 winlogon.exe on your computer and that should be in your c:/windows/system32 folder. Except its not asking for that, its asking for the same file in another folder. It also said about remove the reference to it in the registry, but I have been advised not to enter the registry unless I know alot about computers. Which I obviously dont, so i have come to you guys.
Any ideas?
Thanks for your time
Goldie
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Banned

That's an entry left over by one of your virus's. Post a HIJackThis log in the Cyber Safety forum and they'll let you know what to delete to get rid of this as well as look your log over for any other problems. You can get HiJackThis from here.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
It's most likely a leftover from the malware you removed.

Your best bet for getting rid of those leftovers is to Click Here to open a page with instructions for getting and using Hijack This.

Follow the instructions and then post the Hijack This log in CTH's Cyber Safety forum.

Be sure to include in your post what you've done so far.