Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old December 4th, 2014, 01:06 AM

Endless Update Loop

I have a Dell with Vista installed. When I turn it on it shows the Dell logo and then the Windows logo and then goes directly to a screen saying "Configuring Updates: Stage 3 of 3 - 0% Complete" and nothing happens until the screen goes blank and then goes back to the configuring updates. Can't get to my sign-in screen, opening in safe mode takes me back to configuring and on and on. Got a new system disk from Dell, but it won't install. Just goes back to configuring again.
Can anyone help???
Thanks.
Old December 4th, 2014, 03:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian View Post
directly to a screen saying "Configuring Updates: Stage 3 of 3 - 0% Complete" and nothing happens
I suspect that an update failed, perhaps the computer was turned off or failed while installing an update.

Try starting in Safe Mode to see if you can get past that point, I suspect that once it's been started in Safe Mode then properly closed down, it will be able to be started subsequently without problems.

To get into Safe Mode you need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears.

Take a look at this page

Last edited by Ned Seagoon; December 4th, 2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old December 4th, 2014, 07:50 PM

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I've tried that many times and it still just goes to the configuring screen. Only thing I haven't been able to do yet is to boot the system with a Vista System Disk. It won't load, but just goes back to the configuring screen.
Ron
Old December 4th, 2014, 08:29 PM
CTH Subscriber

So if the Dell splash screen comes up and you press and hold F8 before the windows screen appears, what actually happens, does a menu appear? does an error message appear?

Does something else happen, please provide the specific details
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:47 PM

On, F8, Advanced Boot Options, Repair your computer, Safe Mode, Loading Windows Files, black screen with arrow, black screen, Windows Logo, momentary Configuring Updates screen, Dell Logo, black screen, lengthy Microsoft loading bar, black screen, arrow on black screen, Microsoft logo, lengthy "Configuring Updates: Stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete. Do not turn off your computer.", arrow on black screen, black screen, Dell Logo, black screen, lengthy Microsoft loading bar, black screen, black screen with arrow, Microsoft Logo, configuring notice, reloop of previous.
Old December 5th, 2014, 03:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

Sorry, I'm not sure how to get out of that. I hope someone else can come along and point you in the right direction.

Good luck.
Old December 6th, 2014, 05:43 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
You will need to get to Command Prompt, thru "F8"

Once there type the following:

bcdedit | find "osdevice" (press enter) should return

OS device Partition X: (where X: is the drive letter) normally C: though not always, we will assume it's C: (if not change C: to what you see)
At the x:\sources> type:- C: press enter

next type:- cd C:\windows\winsxs press enter
next type:- ren pending.xml pending.old press enter
next type:- regedit press enter
Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, On the File menu, click Load Hive

Locate the following folder: C:\windows\system32\config\components, click on components (you will need to browse for it), then select open.

You will be prompted for a name in the box type:-

offline_components

Next expand the HKLM tree and you will see a new key + Offline Components locate the two following keys:-

HLKM\Offline Components\ AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving
HKLM\Offline Components\ PendingXmlIdentifier

Right click on the two entries in Red and select "delete"

Go back to the + Offline Components Key and highlight it, then go to the registry main menu select "File" and click Unload Hive

Next type exit to leave the registry editor restart computer.

If it boots into Windows then:

Go to start, search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select 'run as administrator" at the prompt type:- (pressing enter after each line)

Net stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%
Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Net start wuauserv

Now try Windows update.