Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:27 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Can not access Windows Installer in Vista, Help!

Hi,

I am getting a error message saying the computer can not access Windows Installer. I am running Vista 32-bit. I have looked up the solutions on Google. Everything I have tried, has not worked. I did find a site, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324516, which talks about the Imagepath entry in the registry under MSIserver. I do not have that entry at all. Could this be the problem? If so how do you add it? I tried to include screenshots, but they would not post.

Error message: Windows could not start the Windows Installer on Local Computer
Error 3: The system could not find the path specified.

The screenshot was supposed to show no Imagepath entry. Is that just for Windows XP or should I have the entry also?

Thanks for your help.

Pedro007
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Pedro007, Vista has it too. Try Method 2 here. It resets the Windows Installer entries in the registry and will put the ImagePath value back.

Reboot afterwards.
Old January 1st, 2012, 06:37 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
You have done it again!

AnnMarie,

You are right on once again. I followed your information and it worked like a charm. I would have replied yesterday and told you the good news, but I didn't stop until I had updated my Vista to Windows 7. It's like a new machine. Thanks again for your help,

Pedro007
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Excellent and you are very welcome Pedro007.