Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old September 25th, 2009, 02:53 AM

CD/DVD burner is missing. (+ Weird problems with System Restore).

I just noticed recently that for some strange reason my internal CD/DVD burner doesn't show up under "My Computer". I don't remember uninstalling it because I have no reason to.
But whenever I try to use System Restore to fix the prob. I get the error message:
Quote:
The disk COMPAQ (C:) has errors. Windows has detected file system corruption on COMPAQ (C:). You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored.
Whenever I try to check the disk for errors I get:
Quote:
Windows can't check the disk while it's still in use. Do you want to check the hard disk for errors the next time you star your computer?

I select "schedule disk check", but nothing ever happens. Even after I restart the computer. I've done a full system scan with my Norton Antivirus and nothing showed up.

Here is my info:
Intel Celeron D CPU 3.33GHz
Memory: (RAM) 448 MB
System: 32-bit Operating System.

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:53 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Stone. Do you have a Vista installation DVD? If not, a Vista Recovery disk can be downloaded from here.

Once you have burnt the iso to a DVD, use it to boot into The Recovery Environment and access a Command Prompt. See here (do not try to run System Restore yet).

Type:

chkdsk c: /r

After the prompt > and hit enter. Does chkdsk run now? If so, it will probably take a while but it would be a good idea to keep an eye on it for errors. Once finished, reboot and see if you can run System Restore now if your drive still doesnt appear.

Make a note of errors (if any) and post them here please.

Also check to see if a log has been created in Event Viewer. Hit the Windows key plus r and type:

eventvwr.msc

and ok. Click on Windows Logs > Application and look for wininit. Doubleclick to open and you should see the results. If so, please copy and paste them here.