Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:23 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Adobe Flash - Form 1

I just ran into the same problem. Mine was caused by a bad install of Adobe Flash CS4 Professional. When I ran the startup program nothing appeared to happen, however after rebooting I then had the form1 on my taskbar. The program that is doing this is c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\alg.exe I don't think this is where alg.exe is supposed to be so I'm guessing this was a hacked version of Flash I downloaded (it was not from the Adobe site). (I since downloaded the trial version directly from Adobe and all is well on that front.) AVG does not show this version of alg.exe to be a virus, but I'm not convinced yet and still have more work to do. There is another copy of alg.exe in the windows\system32 directory which is 80k (compared to the 30k file in Common Files).

Still more research to do but perhaps this is a starting point???

UPDATE:

Just updated my AVG and it did find this version of alg.exe in the common files directory to be a trojan. I'd like to thank the writer (rewriter) of this trojan for being a crappy programmer and leaving the form1 on the taskbar, otherwise I may have not noticed this for a while.

Last edited by inmybasement; August 27th, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Welcome to CTH inmybasemen. I have split your post away from the topic you replied to as it is too confusing trying to help more than one member simultaneously in the same topic.

If you wish I will check to make sure that all malware has been removed but I need to see some comprehensive logs to do this. Before you provide them, you need to know that I have made a personal decision not to help anyone who has peer to peer software installed on their computers (and this includes Bit Torrent software) so if you would like further help, please uninstall any such programs now and reboot.

Go here and download DDS to your Desktop and doubleclick on DDs.scr to run it. If your security software includes script blocking features, please disable these before you run this utility. When the scan has finished, two logs will open. Copy and paste both reports in this topic. The logs will be reasonably large so you may have to divide them into sections and make several posts to post them.

Please do not run any programs other than those that I suggest or install any new software while I am helping you.