Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:54 AM

Form1 on Startup

Its strange on system start up I have a tab on my taskbar that reads Form1. I can close it and so far I haven't seen anything that it effected other than the taskbars color (went from gray to black upon clicking the tab and not gray like windows 2000 or something just colored gray.) When I close it, it makes my taskbar normal which is black. Also it is not in my startup folder. I'm running Vista Basic. So I guess what I'm asking is how to get it to not start and also if it does anything.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Scott McPot. It sounds as though a third party application is malfunctioning. Try cleanbooting (see here, Step 1: Perform a clean boot). Dont troubleshoot it yet and make sure you dont download anything or surf to dodgy sites while you are running in this state because your antivirus will be disabled. Did you still see that Tab?
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:02 PM

I'm not quite sure if I did it right but I tried it two different ways. First I only had "load system services" checked in selective service. Then I clicked "Hide all Microsoft services" in the service tab. Then I disabled all. When I did it this way it didn't show up. Then I did the same thing just with "Load startup Items" also checked, it showed up this way. This is what it said in the steps "and then click to clear the Load startup items check box." It confused me with then click to clear, like should it be clear as in unchecked? I wasn't sure so I tried both.
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Yes you got confused because you started troubleshooting the problem. I only asked you to perform Step 1.

Quote:
Then I did the same thing just with "Load startup Items" also checked, it showed up this way.
In that case it sounds like one of your Startups is causing the problem. Try disabling your Startups using msconfig (Start > Run and type msconfig and OK. Click on the Startup Tab, uncheck all your startups and reboot). If the Form1 Tab still does not appear, put your Startups back, one at a time and reboot each time, to see which program is causing the issue. Let me know how you get on.