Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Dual booting Vista and Windows 7

[CHey folks,
I'm dual booting Vista and Windows 7. Is there a way I can get windows 7 to use the programs that I run in Vista. Same drive, different partitions.
Thank you,
Michael
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
some programs you can some you cannot. If it requires registry entries within the specific os, then you will need to reinstall - unless not allowed by the software license.

The easiest way to find out if something will run is to manually navigate to it in the other os and try to start it up.
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:17 PM

O/S: Windows Vista
The only apps you will be able to run on both operating systems when they are only on one partition are Portable Apps. www.portableapps.com

If the program is not a portable app and requires a normal installation then the answer is no.
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1 View Post
The only apps you will be able to run on both operating systems when they are only on one partition are Portable Apps. www.portableapps.com

If the program is not a portable app and requires a normal installation then the answer is no.
sorry but you are not exactly correct. you can run some applications. for example, i am in win7 but am running webcam software that is installed in vista on my dual boot. I was also able to open and run open office but did not check out all features. I was able to do what I needed to do. There are others you can also run.