Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:06 PM

Unhappy router provides internet but limited file sharing

Hi all. I have a quite unique network setup and XP is baffling me.

To start with, my dsl is internal, so it serves my main computer before it routes the data out through a nic.

Previously I had just two computers so I had a crosswire cable and my two machine network worked fine.

Now I've added a wireless router (D-Link I64), so ... the first ethernet cable comes out of the main computer nic to the wan router port. The router then uses the lan port and crosswire cable to communicate with computer 2 and also signals my laptop. All have internet just fine but only computer 2 and the laptop can file share. Neither of them can locate the main computer or printer attached to it. D-Link tech support says the router is fully crosswire capable and it should work but since it's a file-sharing issue they won't go any further with me.

HAAALLLPPP!
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:50 AM

Unhappy

Anybody?

I have read everything that looks relevant in the MS Knowledge Base but no dice. The main computer can ping itself but I cannot, for example, bring up the 192.168.0.1 URL or those of the other two. They see each other just fine, however.

I wonder if I need a small crosswire cable from the nic to the router? Does that enable info to go back to the computer? I don't know how the data move so that's just a guess. I'd really like some help; I'm really stumped here and can't find anthing about internal dsl's, so I can't figure out whether that's where the problem lies.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:49 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Well if all 3 computers get internet just fine but the problem is file sharing then it would seem to me your problem is with file sharing and lay within windows not the router. The main computer or the one that the other 2 won't see is using windows xp yes? What are the others using? Does the XP computer have any sort of firewall running that could block local traffic? Do all the computers have the same workgroup name? Do you have simple file sharing on the XP computer off or on?
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:21 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
It seems what you are looking for here is just the switch function of the router, not the routing. I assume you are using ICS on the main coputer to share the internet connection, correct?

Have you tried connecting the cat5 from the main comuputer to a LAN port and disabling DHCP on the router?
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:36 AM

Thanks, guys. This is taking forever. All are running xp pro sp2, the ics and simple file sharing are on and the firewalls off. Workgroups are commonly named. The cat5 cable is the straight throughput one, right? You mean unplug it from the WAN and put it in a LAN, then out to the second computer from another LAN? Weird! But I'll try, if that's your meaning. Where would I go to disable DHCP on the router (I've seen it for the dsl nic, but where would the router be located?) Thanks again.
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Thats what I mean. all connections into LAN ports and leave the WAN port empty. I just remembered that the dlink routers usually have an IP address of 192.168.0.1 , so you have a little more work to do.

Try these steps.[list]
  • Connect a PC besides the MAIN PC to the router.
  • open 192.168.0.1 in your browser (THIS SHOULD GET YOU INTO THE ROUTER)
    • On the router, change the routers IP address to 192.168.0.254 and disable DHCP.
  • Now connect all the PCs to the LAN ports.
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:55 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I may be missing something here or just having a brain fart but why not go

dsl->router->computer1->computer2 ?

I guess I don't get the "internal" bit
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:54 PM

Thanks again. The modem is just like a 56k pci, only it provides dsl service. Consequently, there's no way to go from the modem to the router, except via another nic and ethernet cable. But by that time, the main computer already has its dsl service. That's why I don't know if it will work.

I'll try the router configuration z1p suggested.

It will be a while, as I got a virus last night which ate all the exe's on the computer. Hope this didn't have anything to do with shutting off the av and firewall. I doubt it, since I didn't download anything. I wonder if anti-vir just went haywire? It saw every exe as w32 sagit (?). I ended up reinstalling xp and when it rebooted it was missing the logagent file (warned during installation, but I didn't think of copying it from another computer until after, and didn't realize what it would do if missed), which finishes you, since you can't even boot into safe mode without logging in. I'm back to 2000 now and will have to reinstall xp again, this time, with a logagent file on a floppy if it won't install it. What a mess. I'll write back when this all gets straightened out.
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:18 AM

What a day. XP back up and running, viruses gone, ics and simple file sharing enabled again, ethernet patch switched to a LAN port, workgroup set up. Some improvement - laptop can see second computer but second computer can't see it. Host computer saw both at first but after rebooting that was gone again. It's the only one with internet as things are set up now. Can't access the 192.168.0.1 url on the host computer as mentioned originally, so I can't see any place to shut off DHCP (what is that?) and the other two can't with no internet. I'm stumped again - I either get internet or some file-sharing but not both and not on all machines. What next?
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Lets try this a couple of steps at a time.

Disconnect the Main PC from the router.
Connect another PC to a LAN port on the router.
Now run ipconfig /all on that PC and post the output back here. ( I want to see what you get for an IP, what you get for a defualt gateway and how the PC is configured to acquire its IP address)

BTW - DHCP is "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol" it is what is used to automatically assign IP address. One of the problems in your configuration is that the router and ICS want to assign IP addresses. Ideally, you only want one in that role.
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:53 PM

Here you go:

Host Name: p4-24ghz
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node type: mixed
IP Routing enabled: no
Wins proxy enabled: no

Connection Specific DNS suffix:
Description: D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 adapter
physical address: 00-50-ba-c3-06-40
DHCP enabled: yes
Autoconfiguration enabled: yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.56.182
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

Odd there's no gateway, but what do I know? Hope this helps. And here's the (disconnected) host computer, while we're at it.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : celeron800
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-BA-C3-B8-B4

PPP adapter Lara adsl:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 206.248.132.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 206.248.132.10
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 206.248.154.22

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Last edited by bobo; August 25th, 2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:40 PM

When you ran ipconfig on the p4-24ghz it was connected to the router, correct? From the ipconfig output it appears that it is not seeing the router. When the it is connected to the router what does the lights on the router look like.

BTW - What router are you using? I can't find any info on the I64
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:48 PM

Correct - it is the only thing plugged into the router at the moment. The I64 appears to be an Canadian version - it's the "AirPlus Xtreme G" router, quite new. You can find in on the Canadian D-Link site.

Ooooh, my bad about the ipconfig output - I got the wrong cable in and switched them - to the WAN port. Here's the correct reading, which looks somewhat more sensible (this is computer #2, plugged alone into a LAN):

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : p4-24ghz
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-BA-C3-D6-40
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 25, 2005 4:38:32 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 01, 2005 4:38:32
PM

The status and WLAN lights are flashing and LAN port #1 is constant.

Last edited by bobo; August 25th, 2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:55 PM

OK so your router's IP address is 192.168.2.1. Try that in the browser instead of 192.168.0.1... That should bring up the login for the router.... Once your logged in change the IP address of the router to 192.168.0.254 and turn off DHCP on the router.

Once you do that connect both PCs to the router's LAN ports and check the IP address you get on the LAN side. The IP address on the main PC running ICS should be 192.168.0.1, the IP address of the other PC should be 192.168.0.X. The default gateway on the 2nd PC should be 192.168.0.1...

They should be able to ping each other and they should be able to ping the router @ 192.168.0.254
Old August 26th, 2005, 01:16 AM

So far so good - all as you stated and I have checked the workgroup on the host, which identifies both computers and I can access the files of p4-24ghz from the host. P4-24ghz registers the presence of the host but cannot access it and still does not have internet. Laptop out of the picture at the moment.