Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM

O/S: Windows Vista
Unhappy My laptop is running slower than normal.

Hi, new here so apologies if this has already been covered somewhere else, but need to ask as it has been really annoying me.

I have an Acer Aspire laptop with os windows vista home premium. Its less than a year old. A couple of weeks ago i picked up a couple of nasty trojans. Fingers crossed i have got rid of them, as no scans pick them up anymore.

However, since then, my laptop has been running much slower than usual. When i first turn it on, it loads the log on screen at normal speed, but when i log on it is really slow, so i guess the problem is in my user. Once it has been running for a few minutes it is fine. Also, when i open internet explorer, it takes 2 or 3 times as long to load the home page. after that it is fine.

At the same time that i got the trojans i got some tracking cookies. No matter how many times i tell AVG to heal them they always come back, and Norton doesn't even pick them up, could these be the cause of the problem?

Any help is much apreciated, as this is really starting to annoy me now, as i cannot work out what is causing it. I have removed lots of programs from the startup list in msconfig, as well as the acer empoering technology, which has no apparent use, so i don't think it is being caused by an overload of programs.

Thanks
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM

You using 2 antivirus programs, AVG and Norton?
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM

O/S: Windows Vista
yes but Norton is only 15 day trial. Just downloaded it to get rid of viruses.
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Running 2 antivirus programs will give you problems like slow performance.
You need to get rid of one of them.