Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old May 1st, 2020, 03:10 AM

Bad RAM?

I just purchased some Kingston RAM from Ebay. I installed it taking all the necessary precautions. When I turned on the PC it gave one long beep would not POST and was stuck in a never ending cycle of shutting off, restarting and then one long beep. After looking up beep codes on the internet I found that one long beep means memory or video failure. My video card seems to be fine. Could it actually be that the RAM is no good. I took out all the other RAM from the system except for the new one and the same thing happened. It is a 4GB module that only cost $17.00 with free shipping so I'm not inclined to send it back. Is there something else I could be overlooking? My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. LGA 775. Also one other thing, I had a known bad piece of RAM and installed it alongside the other moduled and it did not give a long beep and did POST. However when I ran MEMTEST it did show up as bad.
Thanx
Jim

Last edited by jmnew; May 1st, 2020 at 03:20 AM.
Old May 1st, 2020, 05:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Well you did buy it on ebay,was it new or did someone else find it no good and decide to get their money back by on selling it? At $17 I would consider it is probably rubbish, If it was me, I'd try some new RAM from a reputable local seller.

I presume you have ensured it is seated OK? Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the strip?
Old May 1st, 2020, 06:33 PM

Yeah it was new. When I received the RAM it was in an unopened package.
I simply assumed that the contacts were clean when it was packaged, so no I did not clean them. I will try that. The RAM that I purchased was PC-400. The motherboard is supposed to have PC-800. I assumed that because it was DDR2
it would work. Could this possibly be the cause of the problem? And yeah it was actually $12.00 and change. I guess you get what you pay for.
Thank you for your reply
Jim

Last edited by jmnew; May 1st, 2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old May 1st, 2020, 09:21 PM

O/S: Linux
It may be likely that the chip or chips are not seated correctly. Carefully check and re-seat the chips.
Old May 1st, 2020, 09:23 PM

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
It may be likely that the chip or chips are not seated correctly. Carefully check and re-seat the chips.

Sorry Ned your answer was not obvious when I replied to JM.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 12:17 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

The PC400 you bought what are the specs????

If you put in a ddr2-400 stick with a DDR2-800 stick, the 800 will run at the 400 speed.

Is the DDR2-400 stick Unbuffered, Non-ECC??????
Old May 2nd, 2020, 08:26 PM

No it is Registered. So that is why it would not work. I see 2 types Unbuffered/Non-ECC and registered. Like I said I only paid a total of $12 and change. I will make sure I look more carefully before I buy anything.
Thank you Murf. In case you want to know it is Kingston RAM. Part# KTD-WS670?4G.
Jim
Old May 4th, 2020, 01:02 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Registered will not work in that system.

KTD-WS670/4G Kingston 4GB PC2-3200 DDR2-400MHz ECC Registered CL3 240-Pin DIMM Dual Rank Memory Module

Maybe try and resell it on EBAY...
Old May 4th, 2020, 10:48 PM

It was only$12 so it's probably not even worth it. I know that Registered RAM is used in servers and not desktop PC and it did say "For Desktop PC". Had I paid significantly more, then I would be genuinely pissed. Good chance the seller was not aware there is a difference as most of the RAM I saw on Ebay in my price range did not make that distinction.
Jim