Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 25th, 2001, 09:22 PM

Master Sec Drive - ATAPI Incompatable???

Anyone ever seen that error??

You all were so much help on the last one, I figured I could pass this by and get your thoughts.

I get this error message on start up. Doesn't happen all the time. And it is sometimes accompanied by a "Windows Protection Error".

If I go in safe mode and do a scan disk, (which hardly ever finds any errors), and then restart, it clears.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jenn
Old July 25th, 2001, 09:27 PM

I put this in the wrong place. Can someone help me move it???

Sorry!!
Old July 26th, 2001, 04:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi there,

ATAPI devices include CD-ROMs, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, tape drives, some super-floppy drives (ZIP and LS-120), and changers.

I've never seen this happen before. For some reason, I'm guessing, one of the drives is freaking out the computer and/or Windows.

What does your computer system consist of? Like is it a home built, HP, Compaq, etc. What CPU, RAM, drives etc.
Old July 26th, 2001, 04:44 AM
CTH Subscriber

Oh, I forgot. Back at ya.
Old July 26th, 2001, 05:44 AM

Hi Junky! Thanks for your thoughts.

I am running a celeron processor. 386 maybe?? Um, I have 64 MB total memory. 10 GB harddrive.

This is a joyous Gateway. I have a CD-Rom drive. Just a basic one. Nothing fancy.

Thanks!

Jenn :-Þ
Old July 26th, 2001, 02:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

Yo,

I was hoping for some info from you that would shed some light on what's wrong. It didn't.

However, the system does seem old, and computers will give out. Have you ever been inside the computer, taken off the case? Have you installed hardware before? This might take some doing before you (and I) can figure out what's wrong.

You side a celeron 386, it's most likely a 333. Gateway computers were pretty good in their day. 64 megs of RAM is kindda minimal but it wouldn't cause the problem. 10 gig hard drive is just fine. Post back and let me know just how much you think you can do. Like reseat a video card, change a CD drive...stuff like that.
Old July 26th, 2001, 03:09 PM

That's the funny thing Junky!! It's only a little over a year old!! Not like it is 5 or something!! The worst part is that I have pretty much had problems with it since the beginning. It's always one thing or another.

I have never had the cover off of it. I'm not a tech, but I am sure I can figure out what is what inside. If not, I can get help.

I am also having another problem where I get kicked off the net. I stay connected to AOL, but I cannot get a line to the net. Strange huh??

I was toying with the idea of wiping the dumb thing clean and starting over. I have all the software I would need, I think.

What are your thoughts on this?? Do you think that would help this problem too??

THANKS!!!

Jenn
Old July 26th, 2001, 04:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

>That's the funny thing Junky!! It's only a little over a year old!! Not like it is 5 or something!! The worst part is that I have pretty much had problems with it since the beginning. It's always one thing or another.

That's not a good sign. Is it Windows that is the problem, or do you know for a fact that it's hardware?

>I have never had the cover off of it. I'm not a tech, but I am sure I can figure out what is what inside. If not, I can get help.

There was a time that I didn't know how to install memory. Gotta start somewhere. First thing I'd do is open the computer and take a look-see. Does anything look out of place. Is it dirty inside. Check connections on all ribbon cables, cards, RAM.

>I am also having another problem where I get kicked off the net. I stay connected to AOL, but I cannot get a line to the net. Strange huh??

I'd be calling tech support with my ISP and getting this worked out. I'd keep after them until they help get it all working correctly or I'd change ISP's.

>I was toying with the idea of wiping the dumb thing clean and starting over. I have all the software I would need, I think.

I've been working on computers now for 5 years or better. I used to try and fight through things trying to get them to work right. Things that shouldn't be happening. Then one day I got sick of the fights, did a "format" and reinstalled windows fresh. There's alot less work in doing it that way. A trick I've learned when installing windows is to have only the drives, RAM and video card installed...nothing else. Makes it real easy for windows to set itself up that way. Then add the sound card, make sure it's working OK and that all is well, then add something else. Always one at a time until I have everything working correctly. I find that I vertually never have a problem with windows installing that way.

>What are your thoughts on this?? Do you think that would help this problem too??

If I had been having troubles with a machine from the get-go, I'd start all over. Get it running smooth with no errors. It can be done. Just takes time and knowing how to install windows. I've got to a point that I'd rather reinstall windows than to try and fight with some dumb error. I've become a good windows installer.
Old July 27th, 2001, 02:30 AM

Well, now it is even worse. I am ready for a complete do over. I have a lot of saved music on here and no CDR.

Is there anyway I can save the music??

Also, the hard drive has been compressed. Will this effect the outcome??

And one final question. Do you think you might be able to help walk me through this??

If so, please email me at djjenilyn@aol.com.

Thank you for all your help. I don't know what I would do without this board. I'd be even more lost than I am now!!! he he he

Jenn
Old July 27th, 2001, 03:57 AM
CTH Subscriber

How much space is left on your hard drive?

You NEED to uncompress that hard drive, that is one bad thing to have is a compressed hard drive. That may be the problem. *shrug*

I can try to walk you throgh it, some people can do it that way, some not. *shrug* again.

If you have enough we can figure out a way to save your music.
Old July 27th, 2001, 05:27 PM

My drive is 55% free. I took off all the extra programs that were just there for fun. Like Gator and Weatherbug. So there should be plenty of space available.

I am going to try to un-compress the drive. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jenn
Old July 28th, 2001, 01:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

OK, the drive has to be uncompressed before you can start all over again. Once you do that you'll make a special folder and place all your music in there. Then we'll go from there.
Old July 31st, 2001, 03:57 AM

Good News!!!

My brother was able to help. He has a portable ZIP drive and he put all my music on there and then we wiped it clean. Not everything is back on there yet, but we are getting there.

He is putting in a network card for me too.

Sorry to have put you through all this for nothing! But I thank you very much so for your helpful suggestions!
Old July 31st, 2001, 02:42 PM
CTH Subscriber

You are quite welcome. Glad your brother was there for you. Besides, you are learning this way.