Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM

How do I copy all files from one internal hard drive to another interal hard drive?

I had recently bought a new comp and I want to copy the files of my old hard drive to my new one both are internal and both are installed both are recognized...how do i copy the files from one to another?
Old August 15th, 2009, 02:04 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Easy Transfer for Vista
FAST for XP
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well since you posted in the HW Forum, what OS(s) are you using? I'm assuming that your 'new' drive is the one that boots into that OS? Are you trying to copy files just from My Documents (i.e. docs, pics, music, etc.) or the entire 'old' drive? If the former, then just 'dragging & dropping' folders & files in Windows Explorer should work fine - but please provide some more information since there are plenty of options?
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
in addition to what was previous suggested, since you did not indicate what os to what os, you can copy files using a usb jump drive, you can install the old drive as a slave, you can copy the files over using a cd or dvd.

Just remember, you cannot copy over installed programs.