Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Been having some problems.

Hello all. I've been having some problems with my computer recently and I can't figure it out. I'm not the smartest when it comes to computers, so bear with me.

My wife and I both got MP3 players for Christmas. I tried yesterday to download Yahoo's Jukebox, but got a message that says I need Windows XP2 service pack. I've looked under the Add/Remove programs and it is there (I remember getting an automatic update message a while back and installing it). Ever since the update, when there is an automatic update icon at the bottom of the screen, I click on it to update and every time I get a "Send Error Report" message that pops up. This has been happening for about a month now. I started to remove the service pack yesterday but it came up with a warning that unstalling may affect some programs (it gave me a rather large list of them), so I cancelled the uninstall.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and what I need to do? Sorry if my explaination is confusing. Like I said, I'm not too whippy with computers. Thanks.

Dan
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Go to control panel/add remove programs.. If you see windows installer 3.1 there uninstall it & go to the below site & install it again.. If it's not there it needs to be installed..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1che View Post
Go to control panel/add remove programs.. If you see windows installer 3.1 there uninstall it & go to the below site & install it again.. If it's not there it needs to be installed..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Did that and it didn't help.
Old January 4th, 2008, 11:08 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Give this small tool a try.. http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...l/1123680932/1

Let us know how you make out..
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:39 AM

I tried that and it didn't help either. This is so frustrating. I really appreciate the help so far. I just wish it was easier than this.

Dan
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:45 AM

I also had some problems with windows automatic update a while back and someone told me to go to the automatic update website directly and update it from there. i have been doing that for some time now and it works!
try going to -start-all programs-Windows update (at the very top) then it'll open the website and just follow the instructions from there .
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Well, the other day I tried to uninstall the service pack. After the uninstall and computer restart, none of the USB ports would work, so the keyboard and mouse would not work. Luckily I have an old keyboard and mouse that have the old pin type connectors, and after plugging them in and restarting the computer I was able to do a System Restore and got the USB ports to work.

Now, should I go ahead and uninstall it again and use the old mouse to reinstall (if I take this route, is there anything else that needs to be uninstalled along with the Service Pack?), or should I do a System Recovery and have everything start over? We don't have much that is important on the computer anyway. Just some tax info and Word documents that I've already saved onto other disks, and pictures that need to be saved on Kodak's website, which will be done in the next few days.

Thanks again for the help.