Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM

O/S: Windows 11
Windows updates

I have always wondered this but dont want to screw things up. Whenever I restore using the restore partition, it takes forever to do all the windows updates. However, I just finally got back to vista service pack II and it said that it contains all previous updates. Does this mean that I can skip all the other updates and jump right to the service packs then just install what's left after the service pack? Seems like I should be able to but I would figure microsoft would know that and just have you update the service pack first...discuss
Old July 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
No, you cannot skip directly to SP2. SP2 needs some updates in order to install correctly. Had a friend that tried that and it failed to update until all of the previous updates that were necessary. Unfortunately, I am not aware of how to tell if a certain update is necessary or if you could skip it until SP2.
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:11 PM

O/S: Windows 11
yeah it just kind of threw me off after updating all the way to sp2 for a little blip on the installer to say that sp2 contains all updates prior to its release. I was like "that sucks if I wasted all this time if I couldve just manually installed the service pack." But I would think microsoft would think that through and if sp2 did need a few updates installed it would just offer those first. Another thing that threw me off was the size seemed to vary. It said it was between like 50 mb and 300 mb which made me think that they were in fact incorporated if you hadnt went through the entire update process first. I am really thinking about cloning the drive now that I got everything the way I want it so I can just install back to exactly this moment and bypass the hours of updates.