Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Web Development & Graphic Design

Notices

Web Development & Graphic Design Problem Solving for Graphic Design, PHP, ASP, Perl, MySQL, SQL, XML, HTML issues

Topic Tools
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:30 AM

XML can go to hell

After fighting with myself for ages, and getting many universal page options incorrectly set in my website, I decided to finally use XML. Before, I would have tables of links, and after copying and pasting my articles and such, I would find out that something was glitched, and I had to go through everything. One of the crappiest cases was the Javascript:

Quote:
<script language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript">
<!--
var delay = 2500;
var bcolor = "EEEEEE"
var tcolor = "111111"
begintag = '<font size="2"><B>'
var fcontent = new Array()
fcontent[0] = "<a href=\"http://www.petitiononline.com/dvdrkatz/petition.html\" target=\"_blank\">Dr Katz DVD Petition!</a>"
fcontent[1] = "<i>Phreakers</i> screenplay halfway near completion, go to <a href=\"writing/phreakersinfo.htm\" target=\"_blank\">here</a> for information!"
fcontent[2] = "Quake screenplay on the way, already a ****ty essay on it <a href=\"writing/qex.htm\" target=\"_blank\">here</a>!"
fcontent[3] = "Since every one of NIN's greatest albums come every five years (Pretty Hate Machine[1989], Downward Spiral[1994], The Fragile[1999]), expect something kickass this year!"
fcontent[4] = "I don't think it'll crush anymore than that."
fcontent[5] = "Every time someone buys one of <a href=\"http://www.zazzle.com/products/product/product.asp?caching=on&product%5Fid=23537854634186 1294&index=2\" target=\"_blank\">these</a> shirts, I get 10%. Cool, huh? *hint hint*"

closetag = '</b></font>'

var frame = 50;
var st = 30;
var wait = 1;

ie4 = document.all&&!document.getElementById;
ns4 = document.layers;
DOM2 = document.getElementById;

bR = HexToR(bcolor);
bG = HexToG(bcolor);
bB = HexToB(bcolor);
tR = HexToR(tcolor);
tG = HexToG(tcolor);
tB = HexToB(tcolor);

(etc)
I got a link working, and then pasted it on all the other page, only to find another link had been messed up.

Now, I understand that basically put, my site would be easily manageable. A basic article would go:

Code:
<title>whatever the title is</title>
<article> blah blah blah</article>
And I could make it come out as:

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>whatever the title is</title>

<body>
*javascript thingy goes here*
<whatever the article contains>
</body>
</html>
But, I'm kind of confused as to how I would insert it. Can someone give step-by-step instructions on how to use a template for multiple documents? Sorry if it's an RTFM question (which it is), but I read through a couple of dreamweaver documents and couldn't find my answer.

Last edited by restin256; March 17th, 2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

I haven't ventured into XML and XSLT yet... but I'm booked on an XML course on Wednesday as it happens