Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 17th, 2015, 06:09 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Is something stealing cpu time?

A friend gave me her laptop to check out because it was so sluggish. She knows absolutely nothing about pc security and didn't even have antivirus installed. I found 4 viruses with Malwarebytes and several hundred tracking cookies. At first the machine was unable to access the malwarebytes website (even though it could go to other sites with no problem) but I worked with a guy at malwarebytes and got that straightened out and, in general, the machine works a lot better. But there are some things that make me wonder if maybe there's still something running in there that's not supposed to be.

1) Sometimes, when I pull up a browser and type in a URL, the first 5 or 6 characters I'm typing show up, then there's a pause of maybe 15-30 seconds, and then the rest of what I typed appears.

2) I was downloading a defrag program and suddenly the download stopped and there was a little message that said something like, "Your computer is too busy doing other things, try again later." The computer might have been too busy, but it wasn't doing anything that I had told it to; the only thing I had done was open a browser to download that program, and there was nothing else running.

3) Often, when I start a download, it's really slow at first (like, not even moving for a minute or two) then it suddenly starts downloading at a normal speed.

I installed avast AV and it doesn't find anything.

It's an Acer Aspire 5742Z-4512 with a P6100 cpu running at 2GHz and 3GB of RAM and a 320G HD, with 237G free. I don't know how old it is but it's been used very little; it still has all the new-computer crapware and doesn't even have an email program.
It's running Win 7 Home Premium x64.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old October 17th, 2015, 10:24 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If there was no Anti-Virus installed and Windows Defender was disabled, probably still infected. I would post in our Malware Removal Forum, they can get it clean for you over there.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25

Also could be a bunch of crap starting with Windows and running in the background, some could still be malware. To see:

Start | Search

Type in

msconfig

Click on result then on Start-Up TAB
Old October 18th, 2015, 02:12 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Windows Defender actually is installed. I just ran it and it came back normal. I'll post this in the Malware Removal Forum.
thanks