Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old April 26th, 2015, 11:22 PM

Question Two operating systems on one machine

How do you create a separate partition to install a second o/s on one computer? I did this in the past when I had winXP and win95 together. This obviously was many years ago and I can't remember how to do it now. The current machine has winVista Business, and I want to install an older version of windows. Thank you.
Old April 27th, 2015, 12:16 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
The problem you will have is when installing two operating systems, you always install the oldest first. As each operating system uses a different boot manager. It can be done though.

Example Win Vista uses what is called boot manager or Bootmgr.exe and Win XP (if that is what your going to install )uses a boot.ini file.

1st you will need software to partition the drive without loosing any data, if you have one drive. Obviously you must have enough free space to install the 2nd operating system.

Also it depends on the existing partition is it NTFS or Fat 32. Which 2nd Operating system are you planning on installing? NTFS started with Windows XP, earlier was Fat 32.

There are several free programs out there, one is EaseUS Partition Master

Also here is a pretty good step-by-step HERE
Old April 27th, 2015, 12:29 AM

Thanks Murf!

Do I assume correctly that I could also install the second o/s on an external drive such as a usb thumb drive or an external hard drive? Would that eliminate the need to create a new partition and potentially lose data?
Old April 27th, 2015, 12:42 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Yes, you can potentially install to an external drive, although the problem you will face there is older versions of Windows may not detect the USB drive without extra drivers.

There could be an easier way. Why do you need the older Windows version?
Virtualisation could be an option. Install Virtual Machine software natively in your Vista O/S and then build a VM (which can be on an external drive) with the older Windows version.
Examples of free (for non-commercial use) VM software:
Oracle Virtual Box
VMware Player
Windows Virtual PC (Microsoft).
Old April 27th, 2015, 12:49 AM

I'm trying to install the older o/s to bypass the compatibility wizard. The software that I'm trying to run doesn't quite work correctly when set to compatibility for the older versions. Was hoping that installing the secondary o/s would allow us to be able to run the older programs we want to use.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try virtual machine first... hopefully that's all it will take.