Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:29 PM

I brought the computer back to the store. The hard drive failed. They are replacing it and I should have it back either today or tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

I would like to suggest that when you get the pc back, one of the first things you do is make a restore disk using the Dell dataSafe Backup utility that they ship with.
Old November 8th, 2011, 03:03 PM

I did make a system restore (2 dvd's) when I first bought the computer. The store needed the restore disks from me when they put a new drive in. Do I need to make a new set?

I have the old drive. Is there a way to get some files off of it?
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

You already have restore disks and the store used them to format and install the software to the new drive, so you should be fine.

Since the drive isn't being "seen" by the bios, trying to get files off it is going to be hit or miss unless you send it to a professional shop. They are expensive and not worth it unless it's critical data you're trying to recover.

If you want to try it yourself, place the drive in a zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer for 12-24 hrs. Place it back in the pc (directly from the freezer) and boot the pc (make sure you boot from the good disk). If the system sees the drive you may be able to copy files from it using windows explorer, if not you can try using piriform's recuva utility. This method is pretty hit and miss, so don't get to frustrated if it doesn't work.