Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 18th, 2007, 08:53 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Exclamation HELP!!! Blue Screen of Death! :(

Hi, I keep getting the blue screen error message whenever I plug in a USB memory key, SD card, or any other usb data device directly into my Dell Inspiron 6000.

Apart from the usual long message, this is the error code that I get (let me know if more info is needed): irql_not_less_or_equal, 0x0000000A

I was getting 2 or so of these blue screens before I installed some new software; upon this installation, this problem intensified and still persists. It got worse after I installed the software from my friend's Sony Handycam. Also, another cause of this error, I think, may be from the fact that I connected the Handycam to the laptop in the wrong manner using a USB plug?? I'm not sure what the cause is, but those are just some of the things that the laptop has encountered recently.

Now, when I try turning off the computer, it goes to the normal "Saving your settings", "Windows is shutting down" message. However, shortly after the "Windows is shutting down" message, the Blue Screen pops up and I would have to manually turn off the computer.

These items can be plugged into the USB slots with no problems: mouse, usb internet modem, and printer.

Any recommended solutions for this problem???

Thanks!

Last edited by starfire; December 18th, 2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:58 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Several options:

1. Use the Last Known Good configuration

Reboot, before the Windows logo comes up start tapping the F8 key, menu comes up select "Last Known Configuration".

no

2. Get into Device Manager (right click "My Computer" then to "Properties" then to "Hardware-Device Manager) Scroll down to USB entries, expand by clicking the + sign, highlight each and uninstall. After done, reboot the computer should reinstall the USB drivers.

no

3. Repair the Windows XP installation

A great Step-by-Step is HERE;