Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old June 30th, 2019, 04:25 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Question Windows stop updating Windows 7

Hello there it's been a while since I've been here at Cybertek. My computer has been running pretty good because of the help I received here for the installation of a new operating system and in upgraded my processor from everyone there.

The question I have is;
1. How long can I use Windows 7 professional if Windows is going to stop updating it.
2. How do I check to see if I can upgrade to Windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron 531 desktop computer with a AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+?

And while I have your attention could you recommend a laptop which is durable. I've been looking at Dell 4 cores or higher I'm kind of partial to Inspiron 17 inch. I am not a gamer.

Let me thank you in advance you guys are really doing a good job.
Old July 1st, 2019, 05:00 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Hi Mel

I've found Dell computers to be very reliable and have been buying them for nearly 20 years. On the few occasions when I've had a problem it has always been fixed promptly by Dell.
It probably depend on what you propose using the machine for as to which is best for you, they have some good and inexpensive laptop for browsing and general use. I bought a 15 inch laptop for my wife and a 24 inch all in one for me, both perform well.
Old July 1st, 2019, 02:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
Hi Mel

I've found Dell computers to be very reliable and have been buying them for nearly 20 years. On the few occasions when I've had a problem it has always been fixed promptly by Dell.
It probably depend on what you propose using the machine for as to which is best for you, they have some good and inexpensive laptop for browsing and general use. I bought a 15 inch laptop for my wife and a 24 inch all in one for me, both perform well.
Thank you Ned for responding so quickly. My main question was if Windows is not supporting Windows 7 anymore how long would I be able to use Windows 7?
Old July 1st, 2019, 02:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thank you Ned for responding so quickly. My main question Is When Windows stop supporting Windows 7 , how long would I be able to use Windows 7?

Last edited by mel3986; July 1st, 2019 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Rephrasing the question
Old July 1st, 2019, 04:04 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
You can use it as long as you want. But there will no longer be any updates, in particular security updates. Hell you can still run Windows 3.1 lol

On January 14, 2020, Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7. Mainstream supported ended in 2015, but Windows 7 has carried on receiving security updates thanks to extended support. When that ends in 2020, Windows 7 will remain as it is.
Old July 1st, 2019, 04:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

thanks Murf for replying.. Shouldn't the security that we have established on our computers cover any security updates that are needed?

I know Windows want you to upgrade to Windows 10. But I don't think my computer could be upgraded to Windows 10. I tried to find the windows advisory so they can scan my computer to see if I could upgrade to Windows 10.. think I did it couple years ago and I believe it said I couldn't but I have upgraded my computer last year. I was just wondering if I can now..
Old July 2nd, 2019, 01:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thank you all for your response I guess I just have to wait and see what happens when window stop supporting Windows 7 in 2020. You'll have a good day
Old July 5th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I'd just like to comment here, since all the computers I have run Windows 7.

As we learned from Vista when support for it stopped, IE no longer updated, and Firefox and Chrome quit updating on Vista. And at some point, Security Essentials quit updating as well. So Vista users had to switch to some other browser, such as Safari, and switch to maybe Panda Free Antivirus. With such minor changes, Vista still worked just fine. So maybe 7 users will have to make such changes as well, but time will tell.

And since I am one of the malware removal folks here, on the subject of no further updates, including security updates, the fact is malware coders no longer have to seek out flaws in Windows to infect computers. For quite a while now, Anyone who downloads an attachment from a bogus email, or is unfortunate enough to hit a malware coded website etc., any system with any antivirus can get infected. The malware just cripples the antivirus as it's first step. Not since XP have Windows security flaws been needed.

So like mel3986, I will continue to use Windows 7 (which I think is the best MS created, and have zero use for 8 or 10).

I'll also mention for those who plan to use & after support ends, while it still has support be sure to download any Windows 7 tools when you run across one, like the Windows 7 Update Tool. I learned the hard way with Vista that when I needed them, they were long gone.
Old July 5th, 2019, 03:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thank you Justin for your response. That information is very helpful. I would have to keep in mind to make my decision by 2020. What you mentioned about the browsers, is this what happened to Internet explore 8 browser? It became too hard to handle so I had to go to chrome.
Old July 5th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Vista wouldn't update past, I think, IE9, and many websites wouldn't load in it. If you have Windows 7 you should have IE11.
Old July 5th, 2019, 04:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thank you for that info Justin. As it stands right now I'm happy with Chrome as my browser. I will look into Internet Explorer 11.
Old August 28th, 2019, 08:54 AM

I just got my update a week or so ago. However, I just had a conversation with a buddy of mine in Texas who GAVE me (for the cost of shipping) a fairly new machine with a Win 7 OS. I wanted it as a backup should something happen (god forbid) to this machine. While on the phone with him, I brought up the topic of updates-letting him know my machine arrived via UPS. I saw a similar notice somewhere ( I think a popup ad) letting me know updates for 7 will be ending in 2020. He told me that he thinks the updates will continue beyond that date. He theory was that there are too many businesses that use 7. He also mentioned that he believed that with these businesses knowing what Microsoft wants to do, have complained that ending the updates would be a nightmare for their business. He sounded firm in his response to my question. And I believed him. So I hope he is right. As far as I'm concerned, Win 7 is the best OS they have produced. Many have said they thought XP was the best. I disagree. Win. 7 has been the most stable OS for me. So I hope my friend is right. Win. 7 should be around for a long time to come.
Old August 28th, 2019, 01:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hello English teacher, thank you for your response I too hope that Windows 7 keep updating pass 2020. Very happy with my set up right now. I just bought me a laptop in case they don't update past 2020. Now I gotta learn a whole new operating system get used to this laptop. It's a Dell XP 15 and eight core processor and Windows 10. Only had it a couple days. This is going to be a whole new experience for me. I run into any trouble I know where this go for help. I am very grateful for the help Cybertek people have given me over the years. You have a good day