Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old March 4th, 2015, 01:31 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
DNS Benchmark

Had this suggested to me: DNS Benchmark, to speed things up. Been warned to read carefully. Is it potentially dangerous to use? Does it work?
Thanks.
Old March 4th, 2015, 04:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
There are plenty of Benchmark programs for testing aspects of the operation of a computer.

The usual way a benchmark test is carried out is to run the computer through a series of tests and time how long it takes the computer to perform these, the result is compared to that obtained by performing the same test on other computers.

DNS benchmarking is slightly different in that the whole network between your computer and the Domain Name Server is tested, along with the response of the Name Server.

But first what is a DNS? A Domain Name Server is a computer that contains lists of URLs (Website Names) and their related IP address. It also contains lists of other Domain Name Servers so that it can refer a Name lookup to another server should it not contain the requested information.

There are many Names Servers around the country and around the world and their responses time from your computer can vary considerably. Often the response of a particular Name Server can vary over the day, depending on the load on the network and the server at the time.

I have a strong doubts about any DNS benchmark tests carried out unless they were done over several days and a statistical comparison of the results was taken.

Generally the closest Name Server will give the best results because it is the Latency (network round time) that is the most significant factor.

I have that benchmarking program installed on my computer but I've never found a need to use it.

Others may be able to advise of any drawbacks with that particular program.
Old March 5th, 2015, 09:08 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Thank you, Ned, for a most comprehensive and informative reply. A lot of food for thought there.