Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:17 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Question Vista software download

Seems to me that I seen this on here somewhere but now I'm unable to find it again.

Is there a place to download Vista, XP, and win7 software to make a cd for installing these programs ?

Of course I have legit keys to install the one I want. I'm not trying to get something for nothing, or to steal something.
On another computer I am running Vista home premium, and when I run SFC /SCANNOW it runs to the end and then says, some files are corrupt and could not be repaired.. so I need the complete
Vista install disk to copy these files from. The hard drive has a factory image partition, but I suspect that the files on it are corrupt.

Or perhaps, I'm wrong about seeing that link on this forum.

Thanks for all the help in the past and future.
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
If you have an OEM operating system, you can order recovery disks from the manufacturer for a small fee. Perhaps I have misunderstood what you are saying but you cannot use an OEM product key to install a retail version of Vista etc.
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
the only legal place to download microsoft operating systems is from microsoft and authorized distributors.

If you purchased legit keys from legal sources or lost the original disks then you can contact microsoft and they will provide you disks at a small cost. Oem replacement disks will have to come from the computer manufacturer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:47 AM

Guess I was mistaken about seeing that source on this forum. Annyway, I didn't want to "install" Vista, it's already installed, I only need a couple of files to repair it, so that
SFC will run correctly. (see my original post)...
Guess I will leave it alone..since it works ok as is.
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

You should be able to run a startup repair using the preinstalled recovery option on your computer.

See Vista Startup Repair.
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:09 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
You should be able to run a startup repair using the preinstalled recovery option on your computer.

See Vista Startup Repair.
Maybe that would work, however, when you run sfc /scannow does it not use the installed factory image for checking the files? If not, what source does it use?
Hence, the reason for needing a cd with all the files for Vista on it. I'm concerned that the so called "factory image" might be corrupt.
That was the reason for my post in the first place.
I really do appreciate all the help, and don't want to take up your time for a question that may be unanswerable.
Thanks again.
Old March 30th, 2012, 10:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

No it doesnt. When you run SFC, the files are sourced from the WinSxS folder which is why it's so large.

I dont know where files are sourced when you run a Startup Repair in the case of OEM's with the preinstalled recovery option however it would make sense that this process accesses the Recovery Partition.