Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows ME

Notices

Windows ME Problem solving for the Windows ME Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 7th, 2002, 12:44 AM

System Restore points won't restore?

Hello Everyone: I am on a friends pc windows ME and we tried a System Restore and it kept saying "System cannot restore to this restore point, choose another one and try again! Well I tried three different one's and it keeps saying the same thing and Not only that but the computer keeps shutting down while the sytem restore is in the middle of the Restore! Anyone who has ME, know what to do for this? Help!!!
Old July 7th, 2002, 01:15 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi tomstonsils59 - has your friend downloaded the System Restore Update. if not, checkpoints created after 8th September, 2001 will not work. More information and download here
Old July 7th, 2002, 02:17 AM

AnnMarie: Thank You for that information, however we won't be able to look into for a week or two, when we get back I will download the update and see what happens. Will Post back then, Tom
Old July 7th, 2002, 08:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

You are welcome tomstonsils59. I hope that the update is all thats required to fix your friends problem.
Old July 9th, 2002, 02:13 AM
CTH Subscriber

If that doesn't work, Do you remember how you fixed your system restore? Of coarse you wont be able to Restore his computer right now, but it will work in the future.......

Just a reminder. Shut down System restore on all drives. Reboot, then turn the system restore back on and create a restore point.
Old July 9th, 2002, 02:25 AM

Dodge, I will try it when i get back to his place, and install the Patch first. I thought of that but was not sure xp fix that we used, would be the same for ME! Just a warning to others using ME, Dont download Media player 7.1 . Doing so gives microsoft the right to download updates when ever they want to Without your permission. I dont like take overs like that and besides, what if they download a virus, you would probably, never know where it came from! There is a big write up about it on Extreme Tech.
Old July 12th, 2002, 07:47 PM

AnneMarie, I just got back to my friends pc, today and did the Patch for the windows ME and now the system restore works Great, Thank You, Tom Dodge, i wish our XP"S could have been fixed that fast! Oh we'll at least our System Restores are all working now. Thank you to Dodge, for the reminder of how we did it, i would have tried that next. Tom
Old July 13th, 2002, 02:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi tomstonsils59 - You are very welcome. I'm pleased that is all that was required