Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Getting Fedora Core 3

Hello everyone

I was wondering if there was a way that i could get Fedora Core 3 from some were. So that i don't have to download it or really pay for it since it is free software? The reason that i don't want to download it is that i am on a 28.8k dial-up modem, so there is really no way for me to do that.

geeky
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:11 PM

As you are in Canada I don't know if you would be able to recieve a media package from the states. Yes, Linux is open source and is free to download but there are packages that are offered for pennies on the dollar (depending on your dollar, no pun or joking about currency intended), where you can have the distro shipped to you with the ease and speed of any other online purchase. I have also heard of situations where if you buy a magazine that is Linux related then you will also find within the mag a copy of a distro, although it may not be the one you seek. Honestly Geeky, shell out a couple of bucks and order a distro, that is if you don't know anyone and I mean anyone with a high speed internet or cable connection. The only other thing about ordering a copy of a distro from somewhere is that you should very well make sure that it is the distro you want to work with. If you don't have the high speed access then I don't know what to really say. I don't have high speed access either so I always use the one where I work and transport my downloads to a USB flash device, 1 GIG in size and then to a notebook. Then when I get home, I connect my notebook to my network and upload to my system. (That was the least expensive way I could think of to get a free copy of open source.) So I hope that helps and good luck in your endeavors.

P.S. If you have a friend or relative that works around a T1 or T3 then that could be your ticket.